Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

If You Had 75 Euros To Buy A Silver Roman Coin What Would It Be?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1765 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  11:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Help needed or at least some guidance!
I've been reading about, buying and then selling cheap roman bronzes....Hasten to add very small scale...Just wondered if someone gave you 75 euros and said buy a silver roman coin with it........What would you go for ? I'm trying to get an idea of the best value for money....What do you think . ! ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3275 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The denarius of Gordianus is good silver and is well under 75 Euro, at least in Canada. That may not be the best but is certainly a good possibility.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2458 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could do worse than an antinonianus (good bang for your buck with those) but go for something that has meaning for you...

For me that was a Hadrian denarius because Hadrian had a strong influence on England... but republic denarius was my next choice since they have beautiful designs.
Edited by DavidUK
04/23/2016 12:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can pick up a decent denarius of Trajan for that amount. He's one of my favorite emperors so that's probably the route I'd go.
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any nice Republican Denarius or a nice Antoninus Pius.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16623 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any nice denarius that takes your liking.
I would be tempted to have a good look at any good value for money AE in reasonable condition also.

Search VCOINS for a lengthy period of time.
Hasten slowly, and enjoy a patient thrill of the hunt.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5833 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to get a moderately worn Marc Antony legionary denarius. They were used to pay the soldiers who fought on the losing side of the Battle of Actium toward the end of the civil war. They were of lesser purity than the standard of the time, and very common, so they were still in circulation nearly a century after the Republic was no more.

You can get an ugly but identifiable one for about $20, but the value skyrockets exponentially as the grade increases. 75 euro should get you one with a decent bit of detail remaining.

IMO, they are the best bang for your buck if historical significance is key.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second the Pius. 75 euro should get a high quality denarius of one of the great Roman emperors.
Pillar of the Community
Spain
629 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2016  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Athalbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the answer is that...
...There is not only one answer!
Everyone has his own answer so you must find your personal answer
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1251 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2016  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, everyone will have his or her own answer to this. I collect the first century AD Roman coins so I would recommend a nice Vespasian or Domitian denarius. With enough homework they can be had in your price range.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
browse here, all sorts of goodies...

https://www.vcoins.com/en/Search.as...y=price_desc
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1765 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW !
Thanks for the input....loads of ideas
I will now sit,think,and read up on some of them.
I'll post a photo when I've bought one.
Thanks again Saludos Paul
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bargain Coin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would look for the highest quality example you can find in your price range, and then choose whatever you like the style of the best.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidSV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second the Vespasian for historical significance, and you should be able to find a decent one for that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1765 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there...Here's a few I'm interested in...Any thoughts appreciated.Thanks.
1st :57 euros
2nd :75 euros
3rd :66 euros
4th :60 euros

Pillar of the Community
United States
4800 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, all are exceptional. I especially love those flow lines on the Antoninus Pius.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05