Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opened My First Coin Rolls Today!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  8:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 21Maverick21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ordered some penny rolls to get me started with my collection. 7 Rolls and got 12 Indian Heads from 1890-1908 and 17 Steel Cents. Not sure about much else as I'm quite new to this stuff, but I did, however, come across a Steel Cent that looks to my untrained eye, to be pretty nice looking. Can you guys tell me what you think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1673 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be re-plated, to make it look better, which is common to many of the steel cents.

Welcome!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And ...

Looks like a Steele cent that got a new coat of zinc
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 21Maverick21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aw, darn. How would I be able to tell? Isort weight a good indicator?
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 21Maverick21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is weight*
Pillar of the Community
United States
2572 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Buying rolls of pennies with seated Indian Heads is typically not the best way to collect coins as you do not know know the grade of coins or the dates that you are buying. You will get better value for your money buying individual coins or a group of coins that can be viewed for date and mint mark and graded individually.

I do hope you have a little luck and find some collectible treasure in your purchase.
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigchip22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes you never know what you get these days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5156 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I presume you paid extra to get rolls that were supposed to contain Indian cents? What (may I ask) did you pay for the 7 rolls?

FYI, circulated common Indian cents typically sell for $1 or less. If you browse Indian cent bins at coin shows or shops you can often find examples that grade as high as Fine or even Very Fine. So, if the 7 rolls cost more than about $15 you may have overpaid. If however any of the IHCs were high grade you may have done OK.

Steel cents are common and cheap. You can buy AU to uncirculated examples with original surfaces for a couple bucks. The one you got does appear to have been reprocessed which basically destroys any numismatic value.

I'd like to see photos of your Indians; please post if you have a chance!

And,

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 21Maverick21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to post later when I get home, but I'm assuming they aren't worth much if you can't read the Liberty on his headband? Also, I paid around 20 dollars for the rolls all in all.

Like I said, I'm new to all of this so I just wanted to get some rolls to get me going since I only had a few wheats that I've found in my change. I appreciate all the feedback and help, but I don't live anywhere near coin shops or shows, so what should I look for when ordering online? Are there truly unsearched rolls that I can buy and maybe find something cool?

I kind of liked opening the rolls because I didn't know what I'd find. It was very interesting to see the different dates and mint marks.

Thank you!
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 21Maverick21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, what does AU mean? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13020 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , AU means Almost Uncirculated . there are 4 different numerical AU grades : AU-50 ,AU-53 ,AU-55 ,AU58 .
The 50 is typical AU , the 58 is sometimes called slider unc .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2572 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
21Maverick21,

I have a book that is perfect for a new collector that would like to learn how to grade coins. If you would like the book at no cost, please send me a PM with your address. See photo of book below. The quarter is not included as I needed it to weigh the cover down, so I could take the photo.

Learn More...
United States
84307 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU is About Uncircualted (also know as Almost Uncirculated). It is the just before Mint State (MS).
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 21Maverick21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome info, thanks! And slider, I'll take a look and see if I can find the book, I wouldn't want to put you out, but thanks so much for the offer. When I get off work tonight I'll look for it!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46297 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2016  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! I'm glad you are having fun with your first roll. Here's some advice I'd give as an experienced collector (though nowhere near the level of expert as some people here).

Buy the latest RedBook. That is practically a requirement for the library of any coin collector. It is a widely respected guide that will give you the current retail value of pretty much every US coin. In fact, I'd suggest getting the "Mega RedBook". It is huge, but it has a wealth of information beyond the normal version of the book. I hadn't bought a RedBook in years and it was time for a new one. When I saw that one I bought it right away. It is huge though! Don't blindly trust that the value you see in the RedBook is what you will get. It is an approximation. The way I like to use it is to quickly see what the valuable dates in a series are. For example, if I see a series averages $20 for a particular grade, but a certain date and mint mark
is $100, I know that is a key date worth remembering as the relative value is accurate even if the exact value can vary a bit.

The coin grading guide is also very important. There are several out there but if I were you I'd take up Slider23 on his offer.

I'm guessing you bought that roll on eBay. Most of those rolls were put together by the seller and made to look like they are old. He'll put in just a enough interesting (but not especially valuable) coins to make new collectors happy, but don't expect any big finds. True roll hunting is going to the bank, getting rolls, going through literally thousands of coins to find a few interesting ones. It is a lot of work for what you get but it is essentially free so long as you have money to buy the first rolls as you just keep exchanging them when you are through. One of the best things you can do is join your local coin club (if one is in your area). That's how I started when I was a kid. Got a lot of great coins for good prices and the people in those kind of clubs usually like helping out new collectors.

You can find interesting coin bargains on eBay, but it takes effort and experience. I can often get low to mid grade coins for 1/3-1/2 their actual value, but it takes some skill and the willingness to lose money on a bad pick from time to time. Get good at grading before you do that. In fact, I'd be careful about buying any coins on eBay that aren't graded by one of the big 3 grading companies until you start feeling comfortable with grading.

Finally, in terms of grading don't get caught up in all the numbers just yet. Someone explained the various AU grades above, which is good. But to start just worry about being able to tell a coin belongs in the AU category vs. the EF (also called XF) category. Basically learn to grade a coin to a basic AG, G, F, VF, EF, AU, or MS grade. Once you can do that fairly easily then worry about the sub-grade within those categories.

By the way, I got fooled by a coated steel Lincoln once. Later I bought a high quality untampered one. If I remember later I'll post a picture of the two side by side. Maybe it will help you tell the difference.
Edited by Saruma
07/19/2016 5:15 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05