Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

On Cleaned Coins--Yea Or Strong Nay?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 5,295Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2016  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question is what is it worth? I saw a Draped Bust Half at MSNS, AU Details, but so white and polished you could almost adjust your tie by looking in the fields. I figured it would be preferable to a problem free Fine, but not to a problem free VF-30. So maybe $1,000? Buying it at a small discount to AU or even a solid grade down would have been a big mistake.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7004 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2016  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree I don't like it when they have been dipped to make them lifeless. But it would be a hard one for me to decide on a coin with great details with no obvious cleaning marks and an uncleaned coin in lesser condition.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20099 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2016  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have many cleaned coins in my collection. Usually they were purchased at a massive discount from dealers that sold them as cleaned coins. As long as they are not overly cleaned leaving all sorts of tell tail marks, doesn't bother me at all.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fathead 5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a coin keeps its original patina and surfaces, that's preferable to me. Even if it's dirty, it can still look nice and original. Cleaning a coin invariably removes a layer, even a microscopic one, from it's surface and the coin has been altered. I personally don't allow cleaned coins into my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on how you define cleaned. If the coin has chunks of mud, cigarette soot, hand oils with perspiration and dead body cells, I'll take the cleaned coin. If cleaning is good for million dollar art works, it's good enough for my collection. However if the coin has been visibly damaged by some dope wanting to make it look shiny, it better be something I need to fill a slot and at a heavily discounted price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7304 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned coins get bad rap, and probably for good reason most of the time, but occasionally there's a good value to be had. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water...I think the saying goes.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2016  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on the degree of cleaning. Buy the coin, not the slab.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2016  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is gently wiping dirt off a coin "cleaning"? One thing that makes me wonder about that is that sometimes after I get my change and I'm waiting to be served at a store, I'll glance at my coins, and on occasion I'll give an old copper a quick wipe just to shine it up. The coin goes from ugly to pretty. But let's say it's a collectible coin that I missed, maybe a weird variation I don't know about. A few days or months later, some young collector pulls it out of circulation. Is that a cleaned coin?

My question mainly applies to that gummy stuff that accumulates on old copper. What is that, anyway?

And purists, please don't yell at me. I don't clean collectible coins; I wouldn't know how.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2016  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will take any coin, that doesn't have a hole or acid on it!
Learn More...
United States
16364 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2016  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless it's incredibly rare or desirable, hardly at all.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2543 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2016  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
too many variables in the definition of "cleaned" to come up with a blanket yes or no.

90% of my interest is in 150-200 year old colonial tokens. that being said:

visible physical abrasions? = NO
unnatural toning via chemicals = NO

spot of oil to soften & remove a chunk of verdigris = OK
soft pick to clean out details/denticles/dates clogged with grime = OK
gentle soap and water soak = OK

if it's 200 years old and below AU there isn't much that hasn't already happen to that coin!

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2016  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if it's 200 years old and below AU there isn't much that hasn't already happen to that coin!
Well said Wade!
Edited by dd27
09/03/2016 11:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2016  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Michaelangelo's frescoes in the Sistine Chapel are cleaned. The Mona Lisa is cleaned. Nearly all ancient coins are cleaned. 90% of the Morgan dollars in slabs are cleaned, I'm told. Done properly, I think there is nothing wrong with cleaning up a dirty, stained coin and restoring it's eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2016  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent discussion y'all!

I like Chute's witty, perspicacious remark from a recent discussion:

Quote:
Conservation is when people cannot tell what you have done. Cleaning is when the work is visible and people don't like it.

Edited by dd27
09/04/2016 12:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7004 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2016  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wise words.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 5,295Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05