Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Categories Should I Use To Categorize Coins?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,068Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2016  10:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nickrulercreator to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am making an Excel spreadsheet for my coins. I have the general categories - year, mint mark, grade, etc. Are there any others I should include? Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
14418 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2016  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on how the collection is defined, but that sounds like a good selection. On my Birth Year Set, I also include its Krause number. On Morgan dollars, maybe include its VAM.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33634 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price paid. When added to your collection.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickrulercreator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Price paid. When added to your collection.

Now what if you don't remember every price paid because you purchased some years ago and didn't decide to catalog until a week ago XD.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33634 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess I guess,but start doing it from now on,IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
86473 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am making an Excel spreadsheet for my coins.
Good choice.

Mine has Date, Mint, Variety (when necessary), Value, Date Acquired, Cost, Grade, Notes (usually where acquired).

Here are some previous threads for more opinions...

http://goccf.com/t/167164
http://goccf.com/t/89375

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garoyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now what if you don't remember every price paid because you purchased some years ago and didn't decide to catalog until a week ago

So don't include those values. But if you include price paid and date acquired as columns in the spreadsheet, you'll fill them in for new acquisitions and five years from now you'll have a pretty good looking set of price paid/date values.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garoyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, consider a country column. Even if only doing US coins now, you may want to add those odd Canadians you find, or maybe include a foreign coin given to you by a friend/family member (anybody travel?), or at least it is a reminder that you can branch out to inexpensive coins by getting some cool-looking foreign coins.

Of course, you can always add a country column later, but then you won't have the reminder {grin}
Learn More...
United States
86473 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Now what if you don't remember every price paid because you purchased some years ago and didn't decide to catalog until a week ago
So don't include those values. But if you include price paid and date acquired as columns in the spreadsheet, you'll fill them in for new acquisitions and five years from now you'll have a pretty good looking set of price paid/date values.
Agreed. My "cost" columns have a lot of blanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1744 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how about metal content? 90% silver 40% silver cupronickel etc. what about mintages? might be hard if you are talking about errors or vaieties, but general mintage would be intersting.

also how are you cataloging your collection? you might want to add a number system for your own records, like album 1, or box 1 (you can define this as much as you want down to page, and position) so that you dont need to dig around years later to look for that one coin.

I am sure many of us have "lost" a coin only to find it months or years later when looking for something else.
Learn More...
United States
86473 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it is worth...

Quote:
how about metal content? 90% silver 40% silver cupronickel
I put that in the Variety column.

Quote:
etc. what about mintages?
I do not record those now, but I could easily add a column if I ever thought it was necessary. This is why I like spreadsheets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For slabbed coins, I include the certification number for insurance purposes. (I also take pictures but those aren't in the spreadsheet, obviously.)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1744 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck, for varieties I would only be listing things like DDO DDR large/small date etc. as a distinction from just a normal pds mint coin.
Learn More...
United States
86473 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2016  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True, but I only collect major varieties (that which fills a Dansco hole). For example, I have noted the 1976 Eisenhower dollar varieties, large/small date Lincoln cent varieties, etc. Since that column goes largely unused, I can be a bit more flexible as to what it contains.
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2017  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add latiina to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, probably you have made the spreadsheet already.
What categories did you include at the end?
As I collect by design I have country, KM no,year, denomination, series name/important note, design, diameter, material, grade, cost, what sort of coin is it (meant for circulation, commemorative, fantasy).
The spreadsheet keeps changing though. Now it's version no 3.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2479 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2017  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I include description (including catalofue numbers), size, weight, year, cost, where and when attained, material, mintage number, grade, miscellaneous comments.

For ancient coins mintage numbers and grade aren't applied... for modern coins size and weight aren't unless its precious metal.

Just my personal preference.
Edited by DavidUK
01/29/2017 3:37 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,068Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05