Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins Of India - Bull And Horseman Coins And Some Variants

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
India
1846 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another ruler of Nalapura(Narwar). Ruler is Asaladeva (AD.1255-1297). (referring to this coin of Malayavarman https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...n-Narwar.jpg posted earlier)

This belongs to type three, legend and horseman.Horseman is extremely degenerated and is visible only to imagination!On the first image, the back of the horse can be seen with three dots inside and the tail at its top!!.

On fig.No.003, the letter "A" and last letter "va" are off flan. Other parts of the script are visible. Some collectors attribute this to Somaladevi of Ajmer. But the legend and horseman style, weight, the ladder-like horizontal image above the legend (faintly visible on coin no.006) and presence of date below these ones conform with similar issues of Malayadeva of Narwar (Nalapura). Somaladevi coins are more like Ajayapala issues with goddess on one side and legend on the other.

Edited by drnsreedhar
04/08/2019 3:24 pm
India
14 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Subho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello I read all previous posting with great interest. The knowledge shared by drnsreedhar is amazing. I was wondering if you all could shed some light on these coins.The first one is 2.3gms and the other one is 3.1gm. From what I read in the previous posts, appears to be from Kangra dynasty.
Cannot place the ruler. Thanks

Edited by Subho
05/25/2019 1:34 pm
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Pillar of the Community
India
1846 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Subho to CCF and thanks for the post.
Both of your coins are Kangra issues. First coin is of Apurva chandradeva. "Sri A pu" is visible above the hump of the bull. The other coin cannot be precisely attributed because ruler's name is not there. On this one, the legend above bull is "Sri samanta", "deva" falling off-flan.
Another specimen of your first coin is demoed in page 4 of this thread. But the letter"pu" is written slightly differently. Both variety of script is known to exist.
Edited by drnsreedhar
05/26/2019 12:20 pm
India
14 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Subho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome and your learned response. I did consider your posting on page 4 but could not find the swastik mark in my coin. Any way I have another Indian coin with horseman but cannot identify. Weight 3.24gms.Appreciate your help.

Pillar of the Community
India
1846 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Subho
Your second image is head down. This is a coin of Nasir ud din Mahmud, Delhi sultan (1246-66). Billon jital, Goron and Goenka D146 and Type 913, Sultanate coins of India, P.P.Kulkarni.
India
14 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Subho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar Thank you once again. Really appreciate
India
14 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Subho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hello again. I have another of these coins.Not in great shape.In my view it appears to be Madanapala deva. Could you confirm the same pls? Weight 3.16 gm..metal appears to be billion. Thanks and regards..Subho
Pillar of the Community
India
1846 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Subho,
This is a coin of Jalal ud din Mangubarni(Mingburnu), the Sind Sultan.
Please see this page
http://goccf.com/t/324698&whichpage=2
Edited by drnsreedhar
06/02/2019 11:38 pm
India
14 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Subho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello once again. Need help in identifying the bull and hose coin below. I can read the text around bull as "MA Sa da la "but cannot attribute to a ruler with my limited knowledge. I also find " sri "or sa" behind the horseman It is a billon coin. Weight 3. 3 gms .

India
14 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Subho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess it could be nasir ud din Qubecha. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
India
1846 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Subho

The coin is an issue of Shamsuddin Iltutmash, the Mamluq Delhi Sultan.Full legend above the bull is "sri suritana samasadina". On the reverse there is horseman and "sri hamira" above.
Edited by drnsreedhar
09/07/2019 8:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a coin that is (heavily cleaned) debased silver that seems to have some of the markers for a bull and horseman coin, a variety 1 coin according to the first post.

A few of the designs of the bull look similar to the coins posted in this thread, but to me the script seems to be different.

Any thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
India
1846 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear allranger
The left image has a stylised couchant bull facing left and "sri samantha deva" above in Sarada script. Other side has a warrior with a vertically held lance, mounted on a stylised horse passant to the right. What is written above the horseman is important in attribution.
Edited by drnsreedhar
09/12/2019 11:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, good to know. I'll be a bit more discriminating in which coins I pick up in the future. I saw script above the bulls hump and thought that it might be enough to identity. I assume that given the unattributable nature of the coin it greatly reduces its value?
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05