Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ICCS Graded 1914 10-cent - Your Thoughts?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, not a sandwich coin. I would take better pictures but I really don't want to pull it out of the holder. Here is two more.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, as "unscientific" as this weight test would be. I have a 1908 VF30, 1915 VF20 both ICCS holdered. The 1914 (holder and all) weighs in at 6.40, the 1908 6.37, the 1915 6.56.
Valued Member
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is scary stuff. As you said chances of it being real are quite slim and if it is a counterfeit it's by far the most accurate one I've ever seen basing it on the reverse. I compared your pictures to my own 1914 MS65 and I really see no differences. Can we get a better lighted picture of the bow, often counterfeits do screw up details there.

If this is somehow real(which I can't even fathom how it would be) I would imagine it would be worth alot of money.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bow. Disregard the color or tone. I played with it so I can make this part of the coin more visible. The darker aree below the left side of the bow is just staining.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizard1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't a quicker way to help tell if it's counterfeit by testing if it's even silver? Or do counterfeiters use proper metals?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Purchased from a vendor in Spain.

Look familiar?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/08-7-CANADA-...AOSwxg5XyzR0

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although not 100 % foolproof but a good initial field test is an earth magnet. Doing the speed test through the plastic and comparing it to another ICCS graded dime, it does slow down over the coin (although this is difficult to do on a small surface). So that would point to silver. Also this kind of toning would be difficult to reproduce on a different metal. This is not (painted on). There are known counterfeits on silver. A good example is a Danzing Gulden that was counterfeited by the Russians but I also believe that they got hold of the original dies. I'm sure there are others.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes DE. That is correct, the IS the coin. Along with a 25 cent piece which was also graded by ICCS.
Edited by TheCoinHunter
10/16/2016 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unbelievable. The part that makes me really mad is that people get upset about potentially paying a dollar or 2 too much for a coin but have no problems throwing money down the tubes in these grading companies. The coin is a fake. ICCS graded as real and most disturbing part is the fact that it's not even the right bust didn't even make them look?

The letters are wrong the edge is wrong, it has a big blob left of the leaves 9 o'clock.

At what point are we just going to come out and say it? These morons are grading fake coins.

Where is mike Marshall? I hope he sees this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This right here represents what is so wrong with this hobby.

Please post the 1907 for education.

I'm really let down here.
Edited by Alan
10/16/2016 2:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quarter?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/08-8-CANADA-...AOSwMgdXyzSr

Funny, it has the same 'look' and may be a fake too.

What did ICCS grade it as?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pics.....

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they did. MS 64. The similar toning of the coin itself would not be evidence enough to call it counterfeit. I've come across collections where the coins were stored in the same place and developed similar toning characteristics. The pictures of the 1920 coming shortly. This coin was listed on eBay by me in an ICCS holder and I pulled it this morning pending our conversation here.
Edited by TheCoinHunter
10/16/2016 2:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The world counterfeits they've sold are unbelievably good.

Should check out the 1888 cdn penny in the solds

This might be it for the hobby.

I can't even comment on the 1920 it looks so good.
Edited by Alan
10/16/2016 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Different lighting.

Edited by TheCoinHunter
10/16/2016 2:37 pm
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05