Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Avian Notes!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another lovely bird depiction on a banknote. It's a piece of private German 'wertbestaendige' notgeld, actually issued by the world famous Meissen Porcelain Factory. The note bears the manufacturer's 'cross-swords' trademark too. The hand-written, very low serial number, along with the hand-written signature is a good pointer to the scarcity of the piece. The cut-out triangle is where the note has been cancelled.
Anyone who can shed light of the dramatic imagery - I'd love to hear back from you.....

Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lucky Cuss - regarding your notgeld piece from Stuetzerbach - I like the picture of the shooter/ huntsman in bottom right corner. I have the following info. (from a good colleague):

The verse under the capercailiie / mountain cock / wood grouse - translates as follows :

Death draws near to the grouse
As his courtship ritual he performs.
So make you love but quietly
Lest your plans be foiled and spoiled.

Wise words indeed. The picture of the grouse's display is actually very accurate. The bird fans his tail feathers, stretches his neck, points his beak upwards, holds out his wings to the side and then "sings", or at least makes a racket like a ping-pong ball bouncing off a table faster and faster until he reaches a crescendo like a champagne cork exploding, followed by scraping sounds from his throat. I love snippets of info like this - I hope others do to.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lovely looking 10 heller note from St.Johann in Austria

A 10pf 'matchbox label' sized notgeld from Wernigerode, Germany.
It states : 'What use to me the light and spectacles / When I don't want to see the mouse?'

Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
643 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scarlet Ibis has been a mainstay on the Trinidad & Tobago dollar since the mid 1960's.
A Bird of Paradise is used as the watermark.

Trinidad & Tobago $1 (1985) p36b

Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
643 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck

A nice depiction of a blue/grey Tanager Bird on this Suriname 2 1/2 Gulden banknote (1985)

I have often wondered why Suriname & Netherlands Antilles issued banknotes in 2 1/2 (gulden) currency denominations, does anyone know?
Both being Dutch colonies is a link maybe, but it is quite an unusual denomination?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
808 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have often wondered why Suriname & Netherlands Antilles issued banknotes in 2 1/2 (gulden) currency denominations, does anyone know?
Both being Dutch colonies is a link maybe, but it is quite an unusual denomination?

-you're on the right track. Apparently the Netherlands have a 2.5 Gulden coin (I was just informed on a World FB currency group -so all Dutch colonies have/had 2.5 G banknote).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
643 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks walk2dwater.
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
808 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
-Dutch colonies have such interesting denominations (& cool designs) which I'm sure make them very popular amongst most world currency collectors.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  06:50 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1,000,000,000,000m note from Gengenbach dating from late 1923:

Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A 1,000,000,000,000m note from Gengenbach dating from late 1923:
Very nice!
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05