Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A National Note From Your Collection (Small Or Large)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40479 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pic - late '20s?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few that are reminders of by-gone days.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2639 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have plenty more to post. I'll get to them later.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2260 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's no secret I collect Tampa Nationals, so when this one became available I jumped all over it. When I got it home I was temporarily disappointed in the fact that the "Foreign Substance" described on the back of the holder could be felt through the holder. I couldn't tell if it was wax or tar or maybe even a glob of adhesive, but this was the last Charter I needed to complete the full Tampa set and it doesn't show up often...maybe only 7 or 8 known.

A dealer friend of mine saw photos I posted on a different forum and suggested I get the note professionally repaired/conserved. He said he knew the BEST. A tightly held secret person known only by larger dealers and auction houses. I contacted her, sent the note and 7 months later I got it back. I couldn't believe my eyes, WOW. The "Foreign Substance and Paper Damage" was gone along with many stains and years of handling.

I sent it to PMG in August and got it back recently. The "NET" grade was now gone and the mentioning of Minor Restoration now appeared on the back of the holder. It also went from Fine 12 NET, to Fine 15. I rarely buy problem notes, so I don't know if I'll ever need her services again, but it's nice to have that Ace up my sleeve.

These are the before and after scans.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4600 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I've had this note about 10 years and it is one of my favorite California banks that has a long and colorful history. It issued everything from 1st charter Gold notes to 1929 type 2's with the same 2104 charter number!

(I missed out on a couple of 2nd charter fifties on this bank about 25 years ago that were supposedly found in a cash hoard that was uncovered in paper sacks in the back of a garage owned by a retired bank employee - that was the story anyway!)

Not a rare bank by most standards, but an awfully neat radar serial number!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40479 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's some transformation. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4600 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I've always been a big fan of "The Big Friendly Mercantile" as it was known during it's hay days. They had a beautiful white marble building in downtown Dallas with a big clock on top that you could see from miles away.

The President was Robert "Bob" Thornton, a visionary leader of Dallas. The main north/south drag through Dallas is I35 E ...also known as RL Thornton Freeway.

This partial cut sheet of 4 turned up a few years ago. I couldn't pass them up....especially with one of them being a kinda radar note!

I've gotta a sneaky feeling that there is a hoard of these out in coinland somewhere and a few are getting released every year! I was able to buy two more notes near the same serial number range off of eBay shortly after I bought these four locally.

I'll buy more when they show up! I'm a glutton for punishment!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sent it to PMG in August and got it back recently. The "NET" grade was now gone and the mentioning of Minor Restoration now appeared on the back of the holder. It also went from Fine 12 NET, to Fine 15

That's interesting since I was wondering if PMG cross-checked S/N to see if a note was previously graded and if they would not upgrade it when "damage" was noted. Apparently this is not the case (at least in this instance).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2639 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2018  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man, I love those Dallas notes! You need the sheet fully intact for your next purchase.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2018  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple small size ones.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2260 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2018  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's interesting since I was wondering if PMG cross-checked S/N to see if a note was previously graded and if they would not upgrade it when "damage" was noted. Apparently this is not the case (at least in this instance).

I was concerned about this also and had a chance to see several photos of her before and after notes, and was very impressed.

From what I've heard, if the paper conservation is professionally done and not to harsh, like in the art world with the cleaning of a valuable painting, then the note is judged by what the grader currently has "in hand".
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2018  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve that is a fantastic transformation. And congrats on completing the Tampa set!

Western and jimbucks those are great looking adds

So anyone have any from OKLAHOMA they can post?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2639 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2018  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can get close. Here is a rare Kansas note.

Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2018  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is good to see this one revived. Nice examples, all!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40479 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2018  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There must be a million notes known on this bank, and I already have one, but just couldn't pass this up at the price:

Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05