Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A National Note From Your Collection (Small Or Large)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
United States
2255 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2016  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use an HP Scanjet G3110 flatbed scanner and then upload the scans to Photobucket. I both LOVE and HATE Photobucket.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2016  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies - I will explore both ways.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40366 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2016  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, photography gives a slight 3-dimensional quality and better shows the texture of the note. My scanner sort of washes that out and leaves a fairly bland image.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2255 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good explanation Mr.Frog......talk about 3-dimensional, look at the punch through embossing of the serial number and seal on the back of this modern note.

You can accomplish this by shining an LED flashlight across a note while the note is lying flat. A great way to also detect folds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the photography input and the tidbit about a flashlight. So please feel free to share more little tips like that when posting a note!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40366 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stever - That's quite a picture! Surely not a scan?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2016  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first National. Was a Christmas present. I love it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2016  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice note!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2255 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a wonderful Christmas present @scopru....a low charter # and very nice eye appeal.

Part of the fun of collecting Nationals, especially if it's your hometown, is researching the bank that issued the note. You may not know it, but some local Librairies and Universities have photographic archives. I visited the Hillsborough County Public Library and found the Burgert Brothers Photographic Collection (1864-1964). The Burgert Brothers took thousands of photographs in and around Tampa, including prominent bank buildings. At this point, I contacted a local commercial photographer and asked if he would obtain the negatives from the library and print 12" X 16" photographs from the original negatives. Then, I took the photographs to Jo-Ann's and asked them to mount both the photograph and National Banknote in a frame with museum glass. The photographs depict the issuing bank in a time period when the National Banknote was circulating. Some of the Burgert Brothers photographs were eventually used to make postcards. These three hang in the dining room.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve thank you for the nice comment. I was surprised by the gift as most of the family rolls eyes when I start talking numismatics. So apparently they are paying attention - a little. I have a suspicion there may be another one for New Years present given a comment or two that was made... we shall see.

There are many things on this site that impress me. This display of yours is one of them. I am going to bookmark that reply and emulate your display at some point in the future. That is really cool.
Edited by scopru
12/30/2016 09:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are really cool steve! I might have to make one of those with the nicer nationals I have
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photographs and Banknotes. That is an impressive way to preserve history. The addition of the postcards is a nice touch too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40366 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, excellent display!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40366 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS scopru - flip back to page 2 of this thread for another example of a $10 NBN from this back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beautiful note coinfrog and quite a grade too!
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05