Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Check Out My Collection Of Us Notes On Youtube

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2016  7:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. [youtube][/youtube] Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
IJXrGFPSlXA
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeysanders627 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A decent collection. I liked it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tylo!

You have some nice variety there.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, it took a couple years to create and I'm only 16 years old so there is a good future for my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3707 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forums!

Very nice collection for someone your age.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41336 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great start!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF @Tylosaurus and thank you for sharing your collection with us.

How do you research paper money, an online source, numismatic books or periodicals ?
Do you have a favorite, or "got to have" note to add to your collection in the future ? And last, who or what got you interested in collecting paper money ?
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I study paper money through reference guides and books; but I get the most out of talking to others in the hobby and other dealers. My dream note would have to be an 1882 &1000 Gold Certificate but a more realistic trophy note would have to be the 500 of that series. I got into collecting seriously in late 2013 after finding out about large notes online. It was after my first coin show that I became hooked, however.

Thank you everyone for your positive feedback and the warm welcome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again @Tylosaurus.

One more question, would you consider yourself an anomaly among your peers, or are there others in your age group that are interested in numismatics ?
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely consider myself an anomaly in my age group. Almost everyone at school thinks it is dumb to spend money on more money, but when some of them actually see it in person, they think it is pretty neat. NO ONE else at my school collects more than say the State Quarters or their grandfather's rare coin. It kinda stinks but thats what these forums are for

I have found it really hard to find others my age or even near my age interested into paper money -- I have found only one -- and am waiting to find someone who is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks....I was hoping for a different answer and fear paper money may be the next stamp collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2642 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a really nice collection starting to come together.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 22 and have been into paper since my teen years.

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it will become like stamps because coins and paper money will always be grouped together. You might also want to take into account that when the grandfathers of today eventually pass away, their grandchildren may get their collection and bring a new wave of interest. That would be mostly my generation who would be receiving the notes.

When it comes to talking about the situation of collecting paper money, I feel it lacks circulation finds that are significant and just cannot compare to coins in that aspect. One could argue that star notes and errors are significant but they just don't get noticed and so only those in the hobby really take them out of circulation.

On the other side of the coin, pocket change no longer has those rarities it did in the past. They are also most often thrown in a jar and forgotten until the end of the year. But lastly I feel that bills are not gaining traction these days because the BEP isn't issuing any commemoratives or anything of the sort.

These are just my educated opinions so please do not roast me if I said something wrong.

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But lastly I feel that bills are not gaining traction these days because the BEP isn't issuing any commemoratives or anything of the sort.

Unlike the MINT, the BEP really can't do commemoratives or change the main design of our circulating money. The only thing "fancy" they are allowed to do is issue special serial numbers.....like BEP Lucky Money that has an 8888 start, or notes with dates in the serial number, like 2015, or 2016 etc.

The MINT has a great imagination. I'm sure some of us own a Hall of Fame coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2845 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2016  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tylo, I too started at 14 and while I was brought up hearing My father's change jingling in his pockets, for the most part, the change was 90%silver, ! I enjoyed your paper collection and wish you well, the change We carry and receive Today, IMO is far from collectable....... Good Luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3157 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2017  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice collection, really like it
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05