Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Remove 3 Silver Soldered Coins From A Sterling Silver Spoon - Help !

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2016  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do you think you'll get to the first coin sometime in 2017?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
721 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2016  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely, early 2017. This holiday is a rush for handymen. I do maintenance for the 6 Five Guys restaurants around MTL and it doesn't stop, the employees keep breaking things...lol Plus normal wear & tear at a busy restaurant always gives me more to do and less free time but it's on my coin agenda as No. 1 pretty much. I will definitely post results here as soon as available and WILL follow through with this be assured.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
955 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2016  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2372 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2016  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm this is a good one.

I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but all you should need is a soldering gun/iron...let it heat up and set the tip across the back of spoon. The spoon will heat up enough to melt the solder through transference. Same concept as torch, but much safer for the coins and your house.
Edited by MontCollector
12/31/2016 01:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
721 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2016  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I've ordered all the material except the torch. Will start with the soldering iron (60 watts) apparently hotter than typical ones & it comes with a de-soldering pump and a few feet of wick. Should take about 10 days to get it, maybe sooner. If the iron doesn't work, I'll pick up a torch.
Edited by TaeKenDo
12/31/2016 06:11 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3687 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2016  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're in Toronto I can give you a hand at unsoldering the pieces, but there is no guarantee that the solder would wipe off clean in the slightest.

EDIT: Actually, I see that you're in Montreal by your last post. And after seeing the spoon again I see that all the coins are crooked. It's just not beautiful. Your goal here is to forget about the coins entirely and just try to restore the spoon. Make sure you tell your jeweler not to go crazy on the buffing when doing the coins. I would strongly suggest you not try it at home.
Edited by Libertad
12/31/2016 11:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
721 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2017  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I'm in MTL & yeah I know that's what will probably happen. Thanks a lot for the kind offer though.
Edited by TaeKenDo
01/01/2017 12:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2017  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an ex-plumber. Did a lot of silver soldering back in the day. Melting temperature of silver solder is over 1100F depending on the alloy. I seriously doubt you will get that kind of temperature over a large enough area with a soldering iron. If you use a torch you will be successful as long as you define success as separating the pieces without regard for the condition of the coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
721 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2017  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ trdhrdr007 - I've got a degree in plumbing & heating, though didn't get to work much in the field due to an injury. I have MAPP gas, you think MAPP Gas would do the job better than propane..?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2017  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was a plumber from about 1986 through 2004. Started as a helper & learned on the job. They changed the licensing laws here after I'd been working about 16 months & allowed anyone with at least one year experience to take the Master Plumbers test. I was able to skip the journeyman license. Once I had my Masters it was just a couple years before I went into business for myself. Anyway, I almost never used propane. The increased heat from MAPP gas allowed you to solder quicker.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
721 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2017  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm aware of that about MAPP but I was referring to using it on the spoon... more chance of damaging the coins..?

Lucky guy about moving almost right to Master Plumber !! Hard work I'm sure also had something to do with it...
Edited by TaeKenDo
01/02/2017 08:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2017  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TaeKendo... I wish you had twenty of these spoon/coin combos so you could try everyone's recommendation to see which one works best.
Unfortunately, you only get one kick at the can.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3687 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2017  11:05 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My advice stands: send it to a master repairman jeweler because they do this everyday. To them it's like breathing and they enjoy doing it. The reason for this is because silver is not like most metals, you might even have .800 coins there which have a different melting point, and they have seen a lot of fabrication techniques over their experience. You, having no experience, will run into a wall and just have a blob of silver at the end of your learning journey. I really hope you're not attached to this piece if you're going head first into the unknown. How much does the spoon/coins weigh altogether? This is crucial to know if you're going to use flame. You're also going to "burn" the surface of the metal, leaving a purple fire stain if you leave the flame onto an unprotected copper-based alloy. Just send it off to an expert jeweler and save some heartache.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
721 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2017  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Libertad, yeah, I'm weighing this out. I ordered a soldering set to remove the coins myself but the seller cancelled the order because he ran out. I think a stop a the local jeweller is the first thing to do at least to get some pro advice.
Learn More...
United States
24884 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2017  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What advice are you looking for? Ohhhh, "pro" advice, I see.

Do keep us posted and provide photos of the final outcome should you decide to ignore the advice not to do anything.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05