Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fourth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 312
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I have anything that can be attributed to a spcific year until we get to the 1380s, but will enjoy watching. You'll see in your new Ghyssens that there are quite a few 14th century Brabant coins that can be attributed to a single year.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2832 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my next one will be 1452...
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A question on adherence to the rules ...

In medieval coins from Silesia, I have seen a type (Kopicki 8671)listed in Polish auction catalogs as "ok. 1460" which I take to be an abbreviation for "okolo 1460" or "around 1460."
I don't have this type, but it comes up for auction pretty regularly, and I have been thinking about expanding into 15th c. Silesia since there is a lot of neat stuff.

I am curious if "around 1460" would be accepted, or if the attribution needs to be more specific (I think I know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyhow).
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12732 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds to me like "okolo" is another way of saying "circa". Previously we have shied away from these as being legit ways of claiming a specific year. I guess my thought is that if we are confortable with only a few years of progress every few months then we should have a strict interpretation. If showing progress on a better time scale is more important, then we should allow coins with some sort of a range.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was aware the rules in jbuck's opening post read like this:

Quote:
It is also acceptable if the date can be determined to the exact year from other criteria.

...and obviously "about" is not "exact." And though I don't have Levinson, I imagine there are still plenty of dated coins for this year.

Just thought I'd toss it out there for a reaction.
Edited by tdziemia
08/26/2019 4:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good points, both.

I guess we need to consider how narrow the approximation is. Months would be okay since we already allow it to accommodate other calendars. I think years would be going too far.
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2726 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I vaguely recall that @louie said that they had a coin from 1460?

...Oh, right, the phrase was "This will be my last post till we get to 1460". I'm not sure if this meant that they had an 1460 or not.

In any case, someone should contact @louie... if it's possible, at least, since apparently they turned the email feature off.

Anyone knows any contact information for them?
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot go into details, but I do not expect Louie to be back any time soon.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2726 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I've figured out the details, but the censorship of this forum is exemplary, which means that I probably won't be allowed to post them anyway. So I just won't try.

It is quite unfortunate that we are probably stuck here for good; I don't think we've had two editions in a row stuck at the same year before.

EDIT: in retrospect, I wonder if the same exact thing had happened when @medieval disappeared a few years back...
Edited by january1may
09/09/2019 6:21 pm
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the record:

1st edition ended At 1492 (waiting On 1491)
2nd edition ended At 1492 (waiting On 1491)
3rd edition ended At 1487 (waiting On 1486)

4th edition is at 1460
5th edition is at 1575

We have at least 115 days before the 5th catches the 4th. Who know what will show up in that time.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2726 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1st edition ended At 1492 (waiting On 1491)
2nd edition ended At 1492 (waiting On 1491)
I'm not sure how I missed that. I distinctly remember checking and finding that the 1st edition ended on... 1495 or 1494, I think. Something like that.

If we were actually stuck at 1491 that long, I retract my statement. I doubt we'd be stuck for quite as long this time, anyway.
[EDIT: especially since we have apparently lost the guy who had the only known 1480 and 1473 coins on CCF - which means that next year we might instead end up in a weird situation where the 5th edition is a decade or two behind the 4th but cannot progress either. I don't think there are any other gaps, though.]

Incidentally, fun fact: this thread currently has only a few posts more than the Fifth Edition; both are at 311 pages. By this time tomorrow the Fifth Edition would probably be longer.
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It should be. The back end of the 5th has had a lot more participation than in the past.
Page: of 312 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05