Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Roll Hunting from Banks in "high crime" areas  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  3:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2DollarCirculator to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So quick question. How many of you purposely pick up coin rolls/boxes from banks in "high crime" areas?

I was making small talk with someone at Hobby Lobby yesterday, and she mentioned that she can no longer reliably find silver from the suburban branch banks that she normally visits. So apparently she has now been going to banks in a "high crime" area of our city, she would not tell me which banks she goes to or what she has found at these banks, but she told me that she has never had as much success as she is having now.

Is this becoming an increasingly common practice? Have any of you had any luck doing this.

Edited by 2DollarCirculator
01/08/2017 3:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCM Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stay out of "high crime" areas. Period.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you really want to walk around with a box of coins in a "high crime" area?
Working on a Dansco ASE 7181. 26 of 32
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2DollarCirculator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My initial thought was the same, I would be scared to death walking to my car with $500 in halves in the part of town she was talking about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6804 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't do it. It's not worth getting robbed/shot/killed for a chance at a little bit of silver.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215, 2016 NCNA YN of the Year
Pillar of the Community
United States
4233 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A concealed carry permit would help the situation a bit.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4824 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boxes come from the carriers vault.

They deliver boxes from the came stack to the hood as well as the suburbs. you will get the same coins no matter where you pick them up. How long you get to keep said coins walking out of the bank to your car depends on which neighborhood you pick them up in

Stay off the Northside.

Now if you are talking CRW then you might find more stolen coins cashed in at banks in the hood but I think more wealthy people live in the suburbs and are more likely to have a coin collection for their children to steal from and spend.

It can go both ways.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would coins from "high crime areas" be better?

I think I know the answer.
Norm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It honestly would be quite funny to see a thief struggle with 20+ pounds of coins
People often question my "strange" or "weird" hobby of coin collecting. I think of these people as the common, "pocket change" people. Nothing unique about them. They question those who are different, call them "weird" for not being average. Those who have these strange hobbies are the "rarity" people. They are the "weird". The "quirky." Those who are different from the group are the Morgan dollars in a pile of modern dimes.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2DollarCirculator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have to wonder whether any of these banks have some really old boxes sitting around in their vaults. Think about it, the two primary groups that order boxes are coin collectors/coin scrappers, and business owners. There probably aren't many coin collectors in a high crime neighborhood, and many high crime areas have very few local businesses. You have to wonder if the trucks circulate coins between these financial institutions, as frequently as they do in safer neighborhoods.

With that being said, I am not going to risk getting robbed on a hunch. The lady I met at Hobby Lobby is majorly brave to do what she does.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The lady I met at Hobby Lobby is majorly brave to do what she does.

Or was just telling a "Tall Tale" !! As an avid fisherman I always fish the deep holes in the river where other people tell me they have had "No Luck".

Working on a Dansco ASE 7181. 26 of 32
Pillar of the Community
United States
7349 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The likelihood of good in a bad place is less likely.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14764 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree.
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The boxes you get from a bank are not necessarily from coins sourced from the area the bank branch is in. Banks order rolled coin from cash logistics companies such as Brinks and Garda. Brinks and Garda receive coin from banks, wrap it, and then sell it to banks that need it. If they have an excess amount of coin, if they need more then they have, they can order some from the federal reserve banks. Thus even if you are in a "high crime area" the odds that you will receive a box of wrapped coins that were sourced from that area are the same as if you ordered them from any branch that uses the same logistics service.

- XoG (a former bank teller)
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't matter to me, I avoid banks, period. CU's all the way!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Learn More...
United States
44095 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I stay out of "high crime" areas. Period.

Quote:
A concealed carry permit would help the situation a bit.
Being armed and trained is not a reason to go looking for trouble.

Quote:
Wouldn't matter to me, I avoid banks, period. CU's all the way!
Agreed.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05