Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A collection of what we love in numismatic history

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47
Pillar of the Community
United States
5552 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Dual Denomination Paquet Pattern

1868 $5 Dual Denomination $5-25 Francs, Judd-659, Pollock-732, Low R.7, PR63 Cameo NGC.

Anthony Paquet's design for an international five dollar coin equal to the value of a proposed 25 franc piece. The obverse depicts Liberty, facing left, with her hair bound by a ribbon and star at the front. The reverse is simply inscribed 5 / DOLLARS / 25 / FRANCS in the center with a laurel and oak wreath surrounding. Struck in aluminum with a plain edge.

Examples of this pattern were coined in copper and aluminum, each with either a plain or reeded edge. The four varieties are identified as Judd-656 through Judd-659, and about a dozen of each are known, according to USPatterns.com.

$10,925.00 (Jan 6, 2009 HA.com)
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully women will make further strides...

Interesting pattern above.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5552 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say that it wasn't the most attractive depiction of liberty. Kind of dropped the ball on that one.
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paquet probably had too much French wine for inspiration.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5552 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a grade you don't see often, SP65BMCA. It stands for Specimen 65 Branch Mint Cameo. And yes, the coin in the holder is the coin shown below the holder. This is an extremely rare coin with only 4 known 1893-CC branch mint proofs. All 4 hace the cameo designation.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5433 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd say that it wasn't the most attractive depiction of liberty. Kind of dropped the ball on that one

Methinks ye be generous with thine words!

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a grade you don't see often, SP65BMCA. It stands for Specimen 65 Branch Mint Cameo. And yes, the coin in the holder is the coin shown below the holder. This is an extremely rare coin with only 4 known 1893-CC branch mint proofs. All 4 hace the cameo designation.
Fascinating!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5552 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2018  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
early photo of new orleans mint complete with ass-drawn trolley.

Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2018  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
early photo of new orleans mint complete with ass-drawn trolley.
Excellent! I have been there. Looks the same, yet different.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5552 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A milling machine that produced the raised edges of coins at the New Orleans Mint in 1897.

Edited by numismatic student
07/26/2018 12:01 am
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A milling machine that produced the raised edges of coins at the New Orleans Mint in 1897.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5433 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for sharing
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1992 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2018  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice New Orleans mint photo.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
465 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  02:16 am  Show Profile   Check throughtheireyes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add throughtheireyes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry haven't been very active of late but been working on some other projects. I picked this up and thought you all might find it interesting.

a letter from John Steele, Comptroller of the US Treasury appointed by George Washington and continued to serve in that position under Thomas Jefferson and John Adams. He was also a Congressman from North Carolina in the first two sessions of the US Congress.
"Tis a lesson you should heed:
Try, try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try, try again."

Thomas Haig Palmer
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to thank everyone for this thread. I have spent
the last two days on the deck going through every page.
Totally fascinating,Thank you so much!
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05