Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Kashmir Coinage

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 175 / Views: 26,154Next Topic
Page: of 12
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

I had to remove you link for review.
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add madblazer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Glad to join.
No problem. Could you please add it back if there are no issues with the pdf? It's a lovely resource providing a compiled history of early Kashmir
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add madblazer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually after reading all the posts, I went through my unidentified coins and think I already have 3 Kashmir coins.

1) Didda Rani, a guess based on the photos already uploaded in this thread.

2) Harsha, again a guess.

3) I am not able to guess what coin this is. It is really worn out. Any clues would be really helpful. Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2389 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....Hi @madblazer...Thanks for the compliments and I'm really pleased the thread has helped.

Your Id's for coins 1 and 2 are correct and coin 3 is another Didda Rani. Your coins are actually in quite good condition for this series..
Didda Rani coins are quite easy to identify as they always have the two vertical lines curved at the top, one either side of the Goddess. This changes the vowel base sound from A to I....Sra to Sri and Da to Di for example....The reverse legend is good showing Diva...
If you have any problems attributing coins please feel free to post them I would be happy to help..
All the best Paul
Coin 3....

United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add madblazer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, ok. Thanks so much for confirming that Palouche :)
I was confused because on the first Didda Rani coin, the portrait is leaning to the right (righthand photo). On the third coin right-hand photo, the portrait is towards the left. Maybe the cin was bigger and just got eroded on different sides for these 2 coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2389 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this series has many idiosyncracies probably due to the longevity of mintage..
Also, as you've read in the thread, the size ratio between flan and die allows a significant difference in what can be revealed on the obverse and reverse..
For example your two Didda coins both have well centred obverses but the 2nd's reverse is offset enough to be able to read the legend...
With my own personal experience in this series I've found that it's better to have a few coins of each ruler offset in different directions showing the variety of symbols placed around the main figures...
Thought I'd just add this example...
The two coins are from my collection and show just how much can be missing!
These are from the same ruler as your 2nd coin Harsha. As you can see example 2 nearly has a full legend with the 'ja' just visible on the edge of the flan..
So full legend would be..'Harsha Raja Deva' and this also indicates that the Goddess side of the coin is the obverse...Hope this helps..Paul
Edited by Palouche
02/15/2021 10:36 am
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add madblazer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Palouche. The size difference between the flan and the die makes a lot more sense. I will try to keep a watch on more coins in this series, although eBay is my only source of coins and it might take a while as its pretty expensive on eBay.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add strange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please can anyone identify these mystery coins?

this one is silver or maybe electrum:

this one is copper or bronze, quite thick:

any info appreciated
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2389 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of new additions to my Hindu collection....
Both are of Jaga Deva and both are ex-William Spengler collection.
The legend on the coins of 'Jagadeva' normally consists of the letter 'Ja, to the left and 'ga' to the right on the obverse, either side of the goddess, and the title 'deva' on the reverse bottom right. This is shown on the first coin below which is basically an upgrade of the more common variety that I already possess..
First coin.
Jaga Deva..1199-1213 AD.....19mm/5.70gr...Die axis 12 o'clock.
Obverse...Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated cross-legged facing in lalitasana (with right leg folded under and left leg hanging down), holding diadem in right hand and long-stemmed lotus in left hand, legend in Sharada script, to the left: 'Ja', to the right 'ga'.
Reverse...Highly stylized King standing facing, sacrificing at an altar to the left. Bottom right legend in Sharada script 'Deva'....Ex-William Spengler collection.
MNI..195-96..

The second coin I'm really thrilled to add to my collection as it's a very rare variant!
I've only been able to find one other example of this type, it's on zeno...
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=135867.....
I've also been speaking with the owner of this example (great guy!) and we're pretty sure they're a double die match.

This coin type shows the entire legend on the obverse with 'Jaga' to the left and 'deva' to the right of the goddess. The title 'deva' is then repeated on the reverse bottom right..

Jaga Deva..1199-1213 AD.....19mm/6.22gr...Die axis 12 o'clock.
Obverse...Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated cross-legged facing in lalitasana (with right leg folded under and left leg hanging down), holding diadem in right hand and long-stemmed lotus in left hand, legend in Sharada script, at left: 'Jaga', at right: 'Deva'.
Reverse...Highly stylized King standing facing, sacrificing at an altar to the left. Bottom right legend in Sharada script 'Deva'....Ex-William Spengler collection.
Here's the coin with a break down of the legend....
This type is unpublished in Mitchiner but is mentioned in Rodgers article plate coin #20...

Pillar of the Community
United States
6063 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice upgrade, excellent provenance, and a rare variant. What a great score. Congrats, Paul. Well done.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2389 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob appreciated ....
I was delighted to add this very rare variant to the set. I've been upgrading coins lately, as I'm at the point where any 'NEW' ruler or variant are few and far between and invariably expensive. So when this one popped up I grabbed it quickly...
The website I've been working on for a few years now is close to completion and will post a link for those who might be interested...

Do need some help on a couple of issues though....

Apparently Kenneth West wrote an article on this series but I cant find it anywhere?..Anyone have this or know how to download it?

Also both these new coins are from the ex-William Spengler collection...Is there a site to view this collection?

Any help on the above points would be most appreciated.....Thanks Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
6063 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2389 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EXCELLENT!.....Thanks bob that's the one
I must be doing something wrong with my searches

Yep this reference also shows the rare variant page 77 bottom right..
Edited by Palouche
03/21/2021 5:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6063 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to help, Paul. But, hey - I'm not vaccinated yet so, you know:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2389 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.....Sorry!

Thanks again for the link an interesting reference..
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 175 / Views: 26,154Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: