Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Kashmir Coinage

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 175 / Views: 26,057Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Knowing nothing at all about these coins, I found the thread fascinating. You have some lovely coins, Paul, and the photographs and write-ups are most interesting. A lot of work has been done in bringing it all together, and highlighting the details and giving the explanations of the legends makes the thread a very polished reference.

It has taken me while to work my way through, but I have learned a lot. Thank you for the time and effort.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2374 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim, the feedback is much appreciated and I'm really glad you enjoyed the thread.

When I look back at my initial posts I realise just how much I've learnt about this series over the last 4 years.....Still a big passion/obsession of mine
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2374 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I'd share a recent addition to my Hindu Kashmir collection.....For me an 'interesting piece'!...
The coin is of Sussala Deva....There are two legend variations referenced, one with 'Sri' the other without, of which I owned both types before this recent acquisition so why did I buy it?...
Well the diagram below shows the two types with breakdown of legend...Note also the trident is held in the left hand..

This new purchase shows the 'Sri' type but as you can see the trident is now being held in the right hand?...
This got me searching and the 4 main reference books show this.....
Cunningham..Only one example 'Plate coin#26' (although he does recognise the 2 types).....Legend without Sri, trident is held in 'Left hand'.
Rodgers....Only example #16, Legend without Sri, trident held in 'Left hand'.
Mitchiner...Only one example Plate coin#190, Legend with Sri, trident held in 'left hand'.
West....2 examples..
First legend without Sri, trident held in 'Left hand'.
Second legend with Sri, trident in 'RIGHT hand'.
Eureka!!...Found one....This then pushed me into searching for this variation---They exist but they are a lot scarcer than the left hand trident...
As a bonus the new purchase is Ex-William Spengler..I'm very pleased to add this coin to my collection...Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rare variety with excellent provenance. Great score, Paul. Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on the new rare addition to the collection, Paul. Thanks for the extremely informative write-up too. A most enjoyable read, especially with the detailed illustrations.
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thought I'd share a recent addition to my Hindu Kashmir collection.....For me an 'interesting piece'!...
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2374 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments guys....
I do have a few new ones in the mail and will bore you a little bit more when they arrive..
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add strange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
trying again since my question half a year later got no replies.
please, this again:
/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=278563#3365673
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@strange - you'll have better luck getting responses if you start a new topic for the questions on your coins instead of just replying to an existing topic.
Edited by hokiefan_82
09/19/2021 01:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2374 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....Sorry but I don't recognize the coins....Do you think they are from Kashmir?...If you start a new ID thread I'm sure, looking at the detail left on the coins, someone will know exactly what they are...Good luck.
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 175 / Views: 26,057Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: