Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kashmiri Rulers From The 9th And 10th Centuries

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
India
9 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2019  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wular to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need help with identification. Apologies for not rotating the images!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice rarer ruler there Wular! ...

Tribhuvana Gupta ruled for approx 1 year 973-974/5 AD..
He was one of the infamous Queen Didda Rani's grandsons whom she probably had tortured and killed to fulfill her own desire to become sole ruler...

I've placed a photo of my example for comparison..

Very nice coin!...Paul

India
9 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wular to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone help with any bibliography or references concerning the coin denominations of the early medieval Hindu kings of Kashmir starting from Toramanas?

Many thanks in advance!
India
9 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wular to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, Alexander Cunningham reports that he has in his collection white metal coins issued by Didda, Ananta, Kalasa and Sangrama deva. Wonder if they have silver impurities or trimetallic in composition. Have anyone come across such specimens?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just going out the door for a few days and will have a look what I've got when I get back.....Your coin attribution is above...Paul

edit..As for the continuation of the coinage from Toranana II take a look at page 6 of this thread..
Edited by Palouche
04/16/2019 03:51 am
India
9 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wular to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Paul!
India
9 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wular to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Sri Didda coin but not too sure. Expertise needed! Thank you in advance!

India
9 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wular to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

India
9 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wular to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Sankara varman coin?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wulhar coin 1 could well clean up quite nicely with a soak but I don't know your views on cleaning coins..

The reverse of coin 2 is really interesting showing 3 dots in a line below the Varma. I've not seen this before so thanks for sharing..

Edited by Palouche
04/17/2019 1:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5678 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circling back to the question of the lion on the Toramana staters, I believe that iconography was actually lifted from Gupta "lion slayer" staters:

https://www.cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=43526
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple of new upgrades...
Sankaravarman 883-902 AD
Nandigupta 972-973 AD
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the moment I'm in the process of setting up a website dedicated to this series and would like to have a section devoted to the script/legends with detailed breakdowns etc..But thought I'd set up some simple identification pages first that might help complete beginners attribute some of the more common coins and see what Feedback I receive...Are they useful?..Easy to understand? Layout?..More info needed?.. etc..
Any thoughts appreciated...Paul
Edited by Palouche
08/24/2019 1:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4183 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very useful and clear - my suggestion would be to include examples without the script highlighted in red, so we can give our new IDing skills a test.
Edited by Ben
08/24/2019 1:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
include examples without the script highlighted in red, so we can give our new IDing skills a test.

Nice idea....
Here are 8 coins all misattributed...They are all one of the 4 types identified above...Lets see if it works...Paul
Edited by Palouche
08/24/2019 5:00 pm
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05