Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Daily Running Post Of Each E Clashed Dollars

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2017  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Day 7 of the Clashing

This next coin is the 1880 P VAM-39a. The V-39a has a few things going on that make identifying the coin with even bad E Bay photos rather easy. This variety shares the same reveres die as the VAM-1a1 and 1a2 knobbed 8. This reveres die has one of the largest die gouges that is seen on any Morgan dollar on the viewer's right side of the wreath bow.

This VAM has a 3 letter clash transfer with the letters being the E and M on the reveres die and the T from TRUST on the obverse. MS-63 and above in this variety is rare, and really rare in an early die state of the clash in the same grades.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8923 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2017  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beautiful example Russ. That gouge makes the '78-s cap band look small.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2017  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. Love the 39a gouge right across the bow. The 19/19A is just a bit more noticeable and on the obverse so it gets all the credit similar to the Scarface vs Wounded Eagle
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Day 8 of the clashing beings the 1883 O VAM-22a E Clasher. The variety is one that has something that only happened once in all of the production of the Morgan dollar series.

The reveres of this coin was paired with a different obverse die and both pairs ended up with a different E Clash with different positions.

The VAM-22 is the rarer of the 2 E Clashes in this date, but can be found, all be it in much lower grades than can be found with its sister die pair VAM-36a.

The main tell tale pick up point between the 2 die pairs is inside the ear. The VAM-36a has a large "M" shaped gouge or chip inside the ear, where as the VAM-22a doesn't. There are other areas in the obverse die that confirm that they are "2 Different dies"

Pillar of the Community
United States
8923 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very nice 22A Russ. I was fortunate to get an EF45 example from Nate last year.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smoke1439 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just fascinating! I once thought I was a detailed guy.
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Darn-fine VAM-22A! For some time it was thought that MS64 was the max grade for this variety, and extremely rare. Now there are a couple or few 64s and this monster...

I don't think I'll ever upgrade my 63.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Day 9 of the Clashing brings us to the sister die pair of the 1883 O VAM-22a. This clashed E Morgan is found from time to time with a proof like obverse that shows off the DO clash above the head on the obverse and has a die chip in the ear that looks like an "M". Also the E clash is in a different position that the later die pairing of the VAM-22a. What becomes clear is the angle of the E's back bone is different.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8923 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice V36A Russ. It looks better than 66+ to me.

Has anyone done a die study and is there indisputable evidence that the 22-A and 36-A are the same reverse die and different obverse dies. If so, then if the E clash is in a different position on the V36-A I would believe that a non clashed VAM-36 should exist, that is if they didn't all meet the demise of the Pittman act. It's my understanding that all VAM-36 examples are the late die state of 36-A after the E clash has faded away (about the same time the die crack appears above the mint mark).
Edited by dave700x
01/31/2017 10:03 am
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still keeping my eyes peeled for that MS-67 :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is a PCGS MS-66 and yes I think it could be a MS-66+. I the good side I know that there are 4 PCGS graded MS-67's in this VAM that have no attribution. The other good news is that this E Clashed dollar is by far the most common, and commands little to no premium in upper grades do to the cost of the coin at grade.

As far as a die study, Yes! Brain R has done work on this die pair as have I. The die pair can be seen with out the clashing, but due to the fact it really has nothing going on other than the die chip it flies well under most collectors radar! I could of bought UNC rolls of this VAM at FUN 2 years in arrow in lower MS grades for common money.

My suggestion on this coin and collection is wait to buy the one you really like! Don't just fill a hole!

I am currently writing an E Clashed Guild that has True Grade sensitivity ratings based on running over 2 decades of Heritage, Stacks and Tele-trade plus E Bay sales of attributed and in attributed E Clashed coins.

This guild has every pick up point and stage break in it that leaves the "What is it" Crystal Clear!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2017  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I am have to go to the VET! Or surgeon for surgery today at O My God early or O600, this one is a few hours early.

This next coin in the E Clashed set is an 1884 P VAM-2a. This coin can be found with just a little searching but is still a bit harder in grades of MS-65. For newer collectors 1884 P coins in general have a fairly big jump in price from MS-64 to MS-65.

This example is the only MS-66+ coin that I have ever seen, and looking over Heritage, Stacks and others no MS-67 coin has been found.

Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize how much I'd caught your bug Russ. I was going to say that the VAM-2A is another one of my favorites, but then realized I have quite a few more favorite E clashes ha. This one is a pretty nice, well-rounded clash all around though, which makes it fun. The dash under the 8 really makes this one easy to find in bad eBay photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Day 11 of the clashing brings us the 1886 O Single clashed E Morgan. This sub type is always seen in a slightly proof like look, and has a BOLDER E Clash. This variety in the 1886 O has less than 4 MS examples confirmed due to cross overs.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice ride so far Russ!... We're almost to the 4a!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05