Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Very Good Day For Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,026Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Slovenia
457 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  03:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dagaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yesterday I went to a shop that mostly sells bullion and bought a 2017 silver Kookaburra and - in the light of my certain recent career sucess - I also bought my first gold coin. And since I collect coins with image of Franz Joseph I, I figured that a gold restrike of dukat would be a perfect start.

The coin is tiny, only 3,49 g (I have no idea how they came up with this weight), but it's gold and mine and my first.

But the real fun started later. I bought those two coin on my way to my parents house where I'll stay for the weekend. Upon my arrival my mother told me that her aunt has left an envolope for me. And that it feels like coins inside it.
Indeed, upon opening it, I found silver Hungarian 5 Corona 1909 (Franz Joseph I.) and a well worn 20 kreutzer 1805E. Minted in Transylvania, nontheless :D As a plus, in the envolope was a 1931 1000 dinar banknote from Kingdom of SHS.

I'm really happy with the 5 corona coin since I didn't have that type yet. And the 20 kreuztzer . Well, it's worn, and in quite a bad shape, but it was minted in Translyvania and it's silver :D And as for the banknote . The condition is actually quite good, and for some reason I just love those big sheets that was paper money some 80 or so years ago. Hard to lose it. Difficult to fit in anything but a briefcase :D

Ok, I'll stop writing ;) Here's some quick photos I took.

Edited by Dagaz
01/28/2017 03:58 am
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Kookaburra and Dukat. Getting coin and paper currency as gifts is a good surprise
Valued Member
Slovenia
457 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dagaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. And for no specific reason. Well, maybe it's an early birthday present ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3177 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definitely sounds like a great day!
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To have your smilies show up correctly, you should place the brackets around them.
This ;) becomes this when you enter it like this [;)]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those Ducat restrikes are an impressive coin, Very nice choice for your first Gold coin
Learn More...
United States
18290 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my first gold coin

Nice!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  07:57 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super! It's a perfect start point to collect the Austro-Hungarian Empire!
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We all should have nice days like that ..
Valued Member
Slovenia
457 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dagaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apart from 20 corona coin, this will probably be my only Austro-Hungarian gold coin for a long time
Alos, thanx for the tip on smilies
Edited by Dagaz
01/28/2017 10:24 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a good day for coins. It was very nice of your mother's aunt to give her little collection. Nice to keep it in the family. Enjoy.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wonderful story and great photos of your finds. It's always nice to hear of good things happening for good coin collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do an acetone treatment on the 20 kreutzer, probably PVC damage. Pure acetone for 24 hours, dump it, then five minute soak, dump it, then a quick rinse in acetone.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jakes8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great day for all currency indeed!
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an awesome event and day!
Congrats on the new items, thanks for the pics!
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2017  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twinkinator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pieces! The next time my LCS gets a Kookaburra in stock, I will hopefully be purchasing it
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,026Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05