Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Setup for photographing Half Dollars?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  11:44 pm Show Profile   Check dd27's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I purchased my setup from Ray, I said that I would be taking photographs of mostly Lincoln cents, so he designed it with that in mind.

Now I find myself wanting to take some photos of half dollars, but I could not fit the entire coin in the view. See this post for an example: http://goccf.com/t/280571#280571

What adjustment/addition to my setup would be best? I'm thinking another bellows, but, as you guys know, I'm really new at coin photography (and photography in general, although I'm slowly but surely forcing myself to read basic stuff), so there might be something basic or obvious that yours truly does not see.

Many thanks,

Mark

P.S. I have a Vivitar Bellows 140mm tall. Photo in this post:
http://goccf.com/t/276742#276742

EDIT: It might actually be 150mm

Park City, Utah // ANA Gold Member #3186790
Edited by dd27
02/12/2017 11:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2859 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mark...for larger coins, you need a shorter bellows extension (for less magnification) and more working distance. I don't remember what the limiting factor is for the Vivitar bellows + Macro Stand system. If the limiting factor is the minimum extension being too long, then you might be able to make a Half Dollar work with a slightly longer lens. If the limiting factor is the working distance is too short, then you can remove the stage plate and place the Half Dollar below the stage. Unfortunately, if you need to go with a longer lens, you'll likely still need to put the Half Dollar below the stage. I'd suggest starting with this to see if you can make it work.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  12:54 am  Show Profile   Check dd27's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much Ray! I will give that a try and report back. :O)

~ Mark
Park City, Utah // ANA Gold Member #3186790
Valued Member
United Kingdom
210 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check TobyJ's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just replying to this because only the other day I took a photo of a Liberty Half Dollar and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I have 6 extensions of different lengths that I attach to my helicoid and then attach a Nikkon El Nikkor magnifying lens. I have a Canon EOS camera 12 MP that was about $120 dollars used from eBay. To frame the coin properly, I play about with the height of the camera and the length of extensions, I also use F8 on the lens.

With this set up I can frame any size coin and get extremely detailed photos. You probably know all this, but thought I'd post anyway :)

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1640 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good, with very even lighting.

These setups are very flexible -- perhaps the only things I'd have a problem with are very large items, like an uncut sheet of dollar bills (which I don't have).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2859 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2017  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mark...did placing the coin below the stage work for you?
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05