Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Claudius II Antoniniani

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4091 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  7:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Marcus Aurelius Valerius Claudius, a highly capable military leader, is thought to have come to power owing to his role in a conspiracy that resulted in the assassination of Gallienus. Claudius II successfully campaigned against barbarian hordes, resulting in his honorific sobriquet of "Gothicus". He also negotiated with breakaway Iberian provinces, convincing them to return to the empire. All this was accomplished in a mere year and a half, for the emperor died of plague at that point.

I had the opportunity today to get first crack at a bag of unsorted and unidentified antoniniani. From what I could see, they all dated from the late 3rd century, with quite a few Claudius II's. These are the three from his reign I chose. The one on the right stood out for the emperor's seemingly pleasant expression. I'll add that it also has a nice silver ring to it, as opposed to the other two, which yield a base metal clunk.

So far as I can tell, from left to right, these are RIC 172, some variation of RIC 149, and a variation of RIC 109.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
02/17/2017 12:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5786 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice ones! Claudius II is common as dirt, but a good portrait coin of his is a tough find. I am especially fond of the middle one!

Interesting side note: Claudius II was so incredibly popular that Constantine's family (probably) fabricated the story that Claudius and Quintillus had another brother, who was related (great uncle?) to Constantius Chlorus.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
22750 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  01:02 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent group.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1685 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins

I really like the middle one too.

Not sure but is this one RIC 149 variant Milan mint second officina?

Thanks for sharing Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
4645 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set o' coins there, Lucky Cuss.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4091 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spotted this yesterday in a mixed group of 3rd century Roman coins. With its incomplete legend, I wasn't at first certain which emperor's visage this was supposed to be, but I now have it identified as a Divus Claudius II antoninianus (RIC 266).

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
4091 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more I've just picked up. Condition is mediocre but I liked it for being an adventus type. I have it as RIC 13.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
818 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lucky_Cuss You may find this link useful. It is the searchable database for the upcoming revision of RIC V and includes all presently-known varieties of Claudius II, including many missing from the original edition. http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/info/present
Pillar of the Community
United States
4091 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Came across a couple more of this emperor's antoniniani today.

The one on the left is either RIC 100 var or 101 var (I frankly see nothing to distinguish between the two). Regardless of which type you take it to be, such were each cataloged as being in the Cunetio and Appleshaw hoards.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunetio_Hoard

The other to the right I have as a duplicate of one of the trio with which I started out this thread, namely RIC 109 (Sear 11383).

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1685 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably missing something here, but isn't the left hand coin Quintillus?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1685 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quintillus RIC 31...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4091 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quintillus RIC 31...

Although prevoiusly identified by the dealer as an issue of Claudius II when I bought it today, I had independently just come to precisely the same conclusion, and was about to edit in the correction. You beat me to it, good eye.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
01/14/2020 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1685 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
......Both are really good looking coins..

But the Quintillus nice,nice!

Good pick ups...Paul

Pillar of the Community
United States
4091 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another pair of Claudius II antoniniani that I picked up today (I double checked this time around to be sure neither had been misidentified).

The one on the left I have as an RIC 104 variant, while the other is RIC 168 (Mediolanum).

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United Kingdom
113 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins. Every one of them.

Jim
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05