Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Boys Town $5 Gold Frenzy!!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 4,888Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  10:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Somehow I have a feeling I won't have a hard time getting through to order these tomorrow at 10 a.m. Probably won't be turning them over for a quick profit either.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2508 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  10:42 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, mintage of 50K gold coin with gold prices dropping, everything going against this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$600 for those 3 seems about $150 high at best.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2017  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right mocking, $600 is about $150 too high. Went off at $466.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2017  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whew! I managed to sneak in and get my order through for the 3 coin set.
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2017  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
howell1018,
Instead of making multiple one line replies, please read this CCF FAQ about editing your post to add a line:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/faq.asp#edit
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2017  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It says that one can edit their original post as long as it's within a 24-hour period. It doesn't say one has to. Have I committed a faux pas? I separated the posts purposely because I felt they were unrelated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5057 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It doesn't say one has to. Have I committed a faux pas?

It's called post count fluffing.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received my 3 coin Boys Town coins via UPS today. Imagine my surprise when I opened it to discover that the proof $5 gold coin was rotated 180 degrees......in the display box. Perhaps I should have it certified? Also regarding "post fluffing" referred to above, why would anyone care?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2017  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the buy/sell/trade rules require a certain post count to participate, they want quality replies. Helps build trust.

Cool to have a rotation. There was an inverted pic on one of the coin news sites last week, thought it was just a photo layout error. It would be funny if they're all like that, if it didn't scream "lack of quality control".
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any thoughts on where the mintage for these will end up?

The proof is currently at 6,541 and has been averaging only about 20 sales a week for the last 4 months. If this trend continues for the rest of the year, the final mintage will be well below 7,000. About half of the previous low mintage for a modern half eagle commemorative (2016 Mark Twain ended up at 13,266).

The unc is currently at 2,091 and is also averaging about 20 sales per week. If that trend continues, then final mintage will be well below 3,000 (2016 National Park Service ended up at 5,150).

It's looking like Boys Town will set new low mintages for the modern $5 commemoratives. Is this because of the topic, or has the enthusiasm for these commemoratives died off that much?
Edited by BadDog
10/11/2017 2:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw those numbers today too. The uncirculated count surprised me; I may have to pick up one of those if there are funds left after Christmas expenses. I have to agree that unless gold really takes a dive, proof and uncirculated won't exceed 7k and 3k respectively.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4468 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's looking like Boys Town will set new low mintages for the modern $5 commemoratives. Is this because of the topic, or has the enthusiasm for these commemoratives died off that much?

IMO, a bit of both.

While a worthy institution, Boys Town is not top of mind for most - it simply does not have the instant recognizability of themes such as baseball, the military, Mark Twain, star-spangled banner, etc. As a significant majority of commemorative coins are purchased by coin collectors vs. supporters of the coin's sponsor, I believe that many collectors have struggled to connect with the Boys Town coins (as they did with the Girl Scouts silver dollar).

After years of declining market values, I also think that many collectors shy away from purchasing commemorative coins directly from the Mint. I believe they feel that they will always be available in the secondary market for a lower price a year or so after release. It's not always the case, but it is for many. Today's collector base for modern US commemorative coins is relatively small and their supply consistently exceeds demand.

I'm not sure if today's unpopular issues will ever be in strong demand, but maybe.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts are that it probably has more to do with the Boys Town topic.

The Lions Club proof commemorative $1 is looking like the final mintage will at least be in the ball park of recent commemorative dollar mintages (maybe around 85% of last year's issues), but the Boys Town $1 is again well behind (probably will end up with less than half the mintage of last year's issues).

I'm just wondering if the Boys Town commemoratives are key issues in the making, or if they will be just another current low mintage issue to be eclipsed by future issues with even lower mintages?
Edited by BadDog
10/11/2017 2:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm just wondering if the Boys Town commemoratives are key issues in the making, or if they will be just another current low mintage issue to be eclipsed by future issues with even lower mintages?

If only we could predict that! But if ever modern commemorative collecting explodes in popularity, it makes sense to me that Boys Town would be a key.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My thoughts are that it probably has more to do with the Boys Town topic.

I agree, the design of it as well isn't doing it any favors. It's just not a design that people are likely to buy because of the beauty alone. I don't think it is any surprise though, ever since it was announced it was expected to be one that was going to struggle with sales.

Quote:

It likely will end up being the key with some surge at the end because of that. The question though is how long will that actually matter if a new key to the series is occurring almost yearly? It's likely a future issue could end up with an even lower mintage, it really just depends on what they choose for future topics and what designs are chosen for them.
Edited by basebal21
10/12/2017 7:35 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 4,888Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05