Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hr 1235 - Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Commemorative Coin Act

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hehehe.... yes, that would truly be deserving of the "puck" moniker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint has unveiled the design candidates for the 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame commemoratives. As part of the program, the Mint is also considering colorized coins for the first time.

Quote:
"The United States Mint is considering the use of colorization on this commemorative coin program," commented April Stafford, Director of the U.S. Mint's Office of Design Management. "I stress the word 'considering'."

Of the design options, I like either BHF-O-01 or BH-O-19 for the obverse and BHF-S-R-01 for the reverse. I'm unsure what to think about the possibility of colorized coins. While color can look nice on coins when used sparingly and selectively, it usually ends up looking like a cheap tchotchke.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not thrilled with any of the designs. Anyone listen in on the CCAC meeting to see what they are recommending?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12269 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The observeses are all terrible especially since the coin is curved. The net was a good idea but only 4 seems to have executed it decently at all. The first two reverses are nice with 1 being the best to me, but overall some really really bad designs got through to be finalists somehow
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are certainly some I don't like but I also think some of these designs could turn out nicely. What did you guys want to see besides "something better"?

I, too, am concerned about the potential of a colorized U.S. Mint coin. I guess we'll see what happens. If any color is applied, I hope it's subtle.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the title of the legislation is Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Commemorative Coin Act and the 11 paragraphs of congressional findings in the law reference the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame, yet less than half of the coin designs include any reference to the hall of fame.

I understand that the law requires a
Quote:
...common obverse of the coins minted under this Act, with such design being emblematic of the game of basketball.
and a
Quote:
...common reverse of the coins minted under this Act shall depict a basketball.
but it seems like most of the artists totally forgot about including anything about what the coin is supposed to commemorate. It's pretty much a repeat of the 2014 Baseball HOF coins, which didn't mention the Baseball HOF at all (and for that coin the folks at the Baseball HOF had to be consulted whereas this law doesn't require the Basketball HoF folks be consulted).

It seems like they could have included something similar to the HoF logo

maybe even as a privy mark, which is something the Mint has said it wants to explore.
Edited by BadDog
07/18/2019 07:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
502 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm unsure what to think about the possibility of colorized coins. While color can look nice on coins when used sparingly and selectively, it usually ends up looking like a cheap tchotchke.

Quote:
I, too, am concerned about the potential of a colorized U.S. Mint coin. I guess we'll see what happens. If any color is applied, I hope it's subtle.

The only positive thing that I can see about the U.S. Mint colorizing its commemorative coins is that it would provide a milestone for me to finally say my current collection is complete.

Having a likely leather-colored dome-shaped basketball coin does not appeal to me. What will be next? Colorized Superhero or Cartoon Character coins that are 3-D and glow in the dark?

I've always considered U.S. Commemorative Coins to have dignity and historical significance. If the U.S. Mint goes forward with a colorized commemorative, numismatists should signify a third era for commemoratives:

1). Classic Commemoratives (1892-1954)
2). Modern Commemoratives (1982-2019)
3). Novelty Coins (2020- )
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As part of the program, the Mint is also considering colorized coins for the first time.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05