Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

H. R. 1235 - Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Commemorative Coin Act

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 110 / Views: 6,907Next Topic
Page: of 8
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10500 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, it is hardly for kids at that price point. And with a enhanced uncirclated coin, it's sure to be snapped up by adults.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10500 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins launch tomorrow. Who's buying?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1025 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a buyer. I disliked the curved coins since they started.
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PASS!
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in. I have been waiting on this Release and then will have to wait for the Colorized Versions. Wish they would open the Gold Coin option goldnugget
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this means they are selling well or not, but the Kid's set is now on backorder.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Kid's Set opened on "Back Order" as it won't ship until September - it can still be ordered. All options are still available for ordering.
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
06/04/2020 2:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered one of the Kid's Sets at the opening of sales. Yes, $45 is a bigger number than expected for the Kid's Set, but it's only a few dollars more than the standalone half dollars (Proof and Uncirculated) and it includes a coin with a more novel finish (Enhanced Uncirculated). In context, the price isn't completely out of line.

Now, ask me about whether I think it's reasonable to be charging $37 (Uncirculated) and $39 (Proof) for an individual half dollar and we'll have a very different discussion!

As a point of reference: The Baseball Hall of Fame Kid's Set from 2014 was issued at $24.95 - a much more reasonable price point. The standalone half dollar in proof was available at a pre-issue price of $19.95 ($23.95 regular) and the pre-issue price of the Uncirculated half was $18.95 ($22.95 regular). In each case, a few dollars less than the Kid's Set.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a silver proof, clad proof, and a kids set. No issues at all ordering.
The clad is a gift, and I'll probably pick up the colorized versions to match when they're released.
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update. I was away and forgot about today's launch and didn't check in until around 2.

Do you know if there have been other commemorative coins where they issued a limited number with a specialized finish? In my memory, they have coupled regular commemoratives with special finishes of circulating coins, but I can't remember a specialized finish of a commemorative. I figured you would be a good person to ask. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mellamobradley46: I guess my answer depends on how strict you are with your definition of "US commemorative coin."

For example, if you include the issues of the America the Beautiful Quarters program, the 2017 Enhanced Uncirculated Mint Set for the 225th anniversary of the US Mint has five EU quarters in it. There have also been several of the Native American dollars issued in limited edition sets that have an EU finish. I don't consider these coins as part of the commemorative series, but some folks do so I thought I'd mention them.

In terms of the formal US commemorative program, no other "specialized finish" commemorative coins of limited number (in addition to the standard finish versions) are coming immediately to mind.

As you noted, there have been multiple cases of pairing a special finish regular issue coin with a commemorative coin of standard finish. The approach began with the 1994 Thomas Jefferson Coin and Currency Set which featured a matte-finish nickel. Other early examples include the 1997 Botanic Garden C&C Set which also included a special nickel and the two-piece 1998 Kennedy Collector's Set that featured a matte-finish Kennedy half dollar along with an uncirculated Robert F. Kennedy silver dollar.

I'll give your question some more thought, however, to see if I've forgotten something!

Edited by commems
06/04/2020 4:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10500 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contrary to my earlier statements in this thread, I picked up one kid's set as well for, as commems pointed out, its more novel finish. I'm still going to avoid the rest of the"standard" offerings but might get the colorized when they are available.
Edited by CelticKnot
06/04/2020 4:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a kid's set and proof dollar. They are way overpriced. I hope the USM doesn't become the RCM with all the offerings but that may have already happened.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1105 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've purchased an uncirculated silver dollar for each of the programs over the last two years, but I will be sitting out this year. I'm not a fan of the design, especially since it's shared on all three coins. The prices have also gotten too high for my budget, and one of my numismatic goals this year is to avoid purchasing anything that isn't part of the sets I'm working on. However, I look forward to seeing the community's photos of these coins in hand, especially when the colorized versions are released.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ldp2323 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking forward to this release since they began discussing it. I ordered the youth set and a silver proof. However, I was very disappointed in the pricing! I was expecting a fair amount less for clad products. I will be happy to add them to my collection and possibly buy more on the secondary market if/when the price goes down. I've over paid on other products I liked and still like to go back and look at them so this will be another one of those. Looking forward to seeing it in person at this point!!
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 110 / Views: 6,907Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05