Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 How To Remove Green Stuff

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  1:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have this nice 1887 cent, but looks like it's built some green stuff on the E. Anyway to treat this? Would Verdi-Care work? I'd have to order a bottle and I think it'll come to like $40 USD with the shipping so any alternatives would be appreciated.

Thank you

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2235 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would probably help with the area around the E, but it looks like there might be some carbon spotting as well (that it won't touch)

If you are ordering from wizard they're initial shipping quotes are rather high, but they only charge actual shipping once the order is processed. I ordered 2 bottles from them (to spread out the cost of shipping) and got a refund after the true costs were determined (can't remember how much exactly but I think shipping ended up being around $15 USD).

Fantastic stuff btw, worth the investment and the bottle goes a long way.

Edited by Wade
03/16/2017 4:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2500 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's hard and granular, acetone won't touch it. If it's soft/oily, then acetone works. From what I've seen with results from VerdiCare, I'd say it works well on bronze. Try to find someone with a US address who can get it there for you and hand-carry it up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are carbon spots that I know are there for good, but the green stuff on the E looks a bit like a stain and some bubbles. I'm guessing that's verdigris? And Verdi Care will remove it? This coin is in an old ICCS ms64 holder so I want to make sure I can treat it before cutting it out
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I took before pictures... I had a coin that was absolutely crusted in green stuff.. it was a mess... I mean you literally couldn't tell what was underneath all that GReen muck. I put some VerdiCare on that and with a bit of soak and a toothpick I managed to get it all off.. now the coin still shows that there was environmental damage but it looks 1000x better now!

I recommend you pick up a bottle... $40 USD is pretty steep... if that's your only option send me a PM
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Currently there's only the larger bottle (18$ US) and shipping will be 11$ to Canada, so totals to around 30. Initially I had read $20 shipping but turns out it was just a faster shipping option. I'd love to save the coin. Do you think if resubmitted it would grade without an ENV dmg designation at ICCS?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2235 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  12:08 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin is in an old ICCS ms64 holder so I want to make sure I can treat it before cutting it out

Without seeing the entire coin it's hard to say for sure, but I would try to find a buyer for it before cutting it out and experimenting, and then look for an unimpaired example.

Once you cut it open and play with it all you are left with is a "cleaned coin", with no guarantees it's going to be any better than in it's current state.

I'm not a fan of carbon spots (even less so for verdigris) and would rather have a nice XF than a spotty mintstate.

Eye appeal is everything.

Edited by Wade
03/17/2017 12:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps bring this coin to the attention to BadThad... I'm sure he'd know if it can be helped!
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  12:52 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin can absolutely be saved. Verdi-Care / Coin Care / Extra Virgin Olive Oil will all work on dissolving the green. Each will have its own time period to react with the green with EVOO taking the longest. Soak the coin in the solution and periodically gently probe the green spot with a cotton swab (paper stem not wood or plastic) or with a Hawthorn rose thorn. Once satisfied that it is removed then rinse in pure acetone followed by room temp water then pat dry. Do not rub during any of the previous steps.

BTW - Coin Care has a preservative oil in its solution. Dab with a cotton swab and gently "massage" the surface. Use a virgin swab to take up any excess or place the coin on a clean cotton color safe cloth (the excess will absorb into the cloth).

Experiment on a cheap coin to get the feel, comfort and confidence to do it this piece.

Gene
Pillar of the Community
United States
2500 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I orderd a bottle. If anyone up here in the T.O. area wants to try it, I'll have it at Expo.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Without seeing the entire coin it's hard to say for sure, but I would try to find a buyer for it before cutting it out and experimenting, and then look for an unimpaired example.

It'll be tough to sell it right now with that verdigris while still retaining any of it's value. I might just put it up on eBay but I would rather use VerdiCare and end up keeping the coin in my collection. The carbon spots aren't that big a problem with me
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15942 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That area in the middle of the coin may see some improvement, hard to tell with the given pictures. However, if you achieve removal, that area will show a stain.

The black area at 10 o'clock appears to be either carbon or terminal cupric oxide corrosion. It will not likely be improved.

Good Luck!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1458 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2017  11:08 am  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My cleaner can take care of this coin. I am a Chemist and designed a product called JPL Coin Care.

But no carbon spots. Of course ... not. LOL.

Contact me privately.

JPL
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05