Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Usb Microscope Modification Thread

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I might look into that light ring thing some more.

Nickel, I saw a Ikea Jansjo lamp hack how-to article while I was googling and the guy just taped a water bottle cap onto the front of the lamp lens. Heck, try the milk jug mod. If it works, you'll be the hero of the USB scope modders club.

Ok, back to the 2X2 test shots. I have a couple more attempts to post. As you can see, I'm getting close, but not quite there yet. Once I get the right combination down, I'll post exactly what I did.

Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here, I'll post what my first shot looked like with the onboard camera LED lights on. The other two shots were with those lights off and a combination of daylight and lamp fill.

Edited by batboy
03/26/2017 8:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'll post one more photo. Camera LED ring off, fill from the sides with Jansjo lamps, overhead room light on, and daylight fill. The color seems to be a real close match. Let's see if anyone else agrees that this looks better than the previous shots.

Edited by batboy
03/26/2017 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys will know I'm ready for the rubber room now.

Seeing those hoop lights in Justwalking's posts, I remembered I had a magnifying desktop lamp that was broken.
It took me an hour but I disassembled it and taped the wires up. There must have been 20 screws in this thing!
Anyway, out came the magnifying glass and everything but the circuit board switch lamp and hoop are left.
I can easily hover over the coin at 1 or 2 inches.
I think I will clean this up, put legs on it, or screw it to some kind of homemade bracket.
Good thing is I also have a spare light bulb for it someplace NIB.

Here's the results. Whoa! March madness!
The second one is even encapsulated in a plastic bubble and two layers of cello. One over the bubble and the 2x2 window.

Those pesky dust particles will change my way of thinking when I staple closed any future coins.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
03/26/2017 8:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The proof shots are very nice. SuperDave is a big proponent of similar ringlights for proofs. I'm not a proof guy so have never tried the ringlight approach but it looks like you're doing really well with it.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Looks like you're on to something there. Thanks to Justwalking for posting about those LED ring lights to give you a jump start for a brainstorm. This is exactly what I hoped this thread would do, spawn new ideas to try. It's also a resource for others down the road to use instead of everyone having to reinvent the wheel when they get a digital microscope.

I sort of feel silly calling this device a microscope, it's really a modified web CAM that allows you to manually focus the lens so you can get real close to objects.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad for this thread batboy. I still think daylight is the way to go.
I am not having luck with bright Lincoln circulation strikes. The proofs were a pleasant surprise.
We'll get there.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
03/26/2017 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you probably saw, I had some success with using natural daylight as fill, but you'll get a bit of blue cast.

I've heard that some of these Jansjo lamps use different bulbs and different color temperatures. The desk lamps like mine have 3000K listed in their specs. I checked around and found that while most seem to be 3000K, indeed some Jansjo lamps were 2700K.

Here is a little info about color temperature:

Quote:
It's all about CRI (Color Rendering Index, or how close to the actual true color. An incandescent is a 100 CRI), Lumen is light output but maybe most important, CCT (correlated color temperature). This is measured in K = Degree Kelvin. 4000K is Bright White. 5000K+ is daylight and starts to put the Blue Spectrum into play.

I figured I was not positioning my lamps correctly when I was taking photos, so I did a little research. I found a CCF post made by rmpsrpms. Hopefully he won't mind me paraphrasing him here.

He says there are 3 dimensions of lighting: 1) clock position (generally use the 10 and 2 o'clock), 2) distance from coin (about 4 to 5 inches or close, but not too close), and 3) angle of incidence (position the lights close to the stand and as high as you can get them to have a steep angle.

Well, it also seems that I need to take a crash course in white balance. I will be doing some more research tomorrow it appears.

I found a coin photography article that recommends using 5000k compact fluorescent bulb.

Quote:
We prefer daylight balanced compact fluorescent bulbs. Not only do they provide nice natural colored light, but they produce very little heat so they can be left on for long photo sessions without heating the coin, the camera or the photographer. Compact fluorescent bulbs fit in standard light fixtures, so a simple adjustable desk lamp fitted with a daylight balanced compact fluorescent bulb makes an excellent (and very low cost) light source for coin photography. (If you can't locate a daylight balanced compact fluorescent bulb, you can use a standard 60 watt light bulb. However you will need to compensate for the yellowish color cast it will produce. You can compensate for the color either with your camera's white balance (WB) setting or with imaging software).

Now I know why the overhead incandescent light bulbs in my man cave causes problems and is the source of yellow in some of my tests. Time to change out the bulbs in the overhead light fixture. I have both compact fluorescent bulbs and LED bulbs. That sounds like another experiment to test both out. The compact fluorescent bulbs color temperature are close to sunlight.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
172 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The difference in white color on 5c nickel.
Above coin was LED ring with natural white (~4000K) and at side was Jansjo lamp Ikea with warm wite LED (below 3000K)
The coin itself was inside of yogurt white plastic box.

Edited by Justwalking
03/27/2017 09:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can replace the incandescent bulbs (2400K-2600K) in the ceiling fixture of my man cave with compact fluorescent bulbs (5000K) or LED bulbs (2700K). Another option is to leave the incandescent bulbs in, but if the light is on, I tend to get pink and yellow images. I also could go out and buy something else (what I don't know yet). Being a retired scientist (although Sheldon of the "Big Bang Theory" claims geology is not a "real" science), I'll probably end up eventually testing all the different combinations.

Wikipedia:

Quote:
Color temperature is conventionally expressed in kelvins, using the symbol K, a unit of measure for absolute temperature. Color temperatures over 5000 K are called cool colors (bluish white), while lower color temperatures (2700-3000 K) are called warm colors (yellowish white through red).

Edited by batboy
03/27/2017 10:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My morning cup of celestron...

I am not so much trying to get perfect images. I mostly want to take decent images of a coin collection with the occasional rpm or doubled die examples.
If I got this set up for Jefferson nickels, I could probably quickly run through a whole batch of them rather than trying to take pictures with my handheld camera. Move onto half dollars and adjust the height ... etc. That was my objective in the first place.

I'm having more trouble with my wheel focus. The PVC pipe may be fine but it flexes when I turn the wheel. When I let go, it moves back.
The PVC tube may not be the best thing to use.
I need to get some other metal tubing.
I seem to have a solution for proof images with my hoop, daylight images are going OK with the window on cloudy days.

A random circulated Kennedy here.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think perhaps I found a cleverly made Chinese counterfeit dime. For lighting, I used the LED lights on the camera and a compact fluorescent bulb in a desk lamp as fill.

Hey Nickel, there is a bit of flexing with my setup too when I try to focus. I know the stainless steel rod is not the problem, it's because of the plastic parts with the rest of the setup. But, since I have not seen yours, maybe the PVC is also flexing. On the other Celestron I had, the focus wheel did gradually loosen up over time which made it easier to turn.
Edited by batboy
03/27/2017 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know how to get those metal clips off the base? They get in the way sometimes especially with a slabbed coin. I did rotate them to face backwards which helped a little.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  10:49 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If yours is like mine, you have raised plastic under the clips anyway. You would have to dremel them off even if you got the domed pins out. They probably just pull out. But I don't suggest messing with them.
I would just stack something under the slab to clear the clips.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
03/27/2017 10:51 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did buy that pair of Jansjo lamps this morning.
I have to get this mess on my desk organized so I can really work on this project better.

My favorite album!
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 11.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05