Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Unusual Coinage Materials/Post Your Unusual Materials Coins!

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 314 / Views: 25,753Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  01:28 am  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Check casualcoincollector's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is something that I acquired a little while ago. It is a 1915 Mexican Revolutionary Cardboard 5 Centavos Piece from Toluca. Sorry for the photo quality, this one proved to be hard to photograph well, the details look better in hand.

Edited by casualcoincollector
02/11/2021 01:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  02:19 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cardboard?! Seriously? Now I've seen it all. They would have minted on anything on hand.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one is pretty neat -- a lot of Mexican 'notes' from those times are rectangular cardboard stock. It looks like it might be incuse, suggesting it was actually struck which is not common for cardboard items.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3448 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like it might be incuse, suggesting it was actually struck
Pillar of the Community
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Check casualcoincollector's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, it is incuse and definitely a struck piece although this one has kind of a weak strike in my opinion. It is also one of the few nonmetallic coins listed in Krause.
Edited by casualcoincollector
02/12/2021 02:25 am
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A few random-ish encased postage stamps.

On the left are Spanish ones, which are easy to get a hold of. The colorful ones are a bit better than the plain ones at the bottom.

At the upper right is a German one, also easy to find but worth more than the Spanish ones.

Below it is a New Caledonia stamp from when it was a French possession, and that one is pretty valuable.

Below that, a Danish one. These types are very common.

The one at the lower right is from Madagascar. Those are pretty rare and worth a fair bit even in the terrible shape that that's in.
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've probably seen these. They're wooden flats and the ones with a pretty distinct 'treading' on them.

I just discovered something neat going through some I just got in a lot of them.

These are peeling apart and they have three layers to them. The interesting thing is that the middle layer is paper, thus these are made of two layers of wood and one of paper.

A lot of depression scrip is made of this sort of thin ply as well, but the ones I know of are just two layers of wood directly bonded together.
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You've probably seen these. They're wooden flats and the ones with a pretty distinct 'treading' on them...
Very interesting!
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thale am Harz, Germany notgeld. I got this because they're described as enameled. It's magnetic, but there's definitely something coating it.

Also... I got the 1574 Leiden coin, made of Bible pages or similar. I found that there are in fact 8 denominations of this type of coin, but usually only this one comes up for sale. I think the impressed seal in the coin is what holds it together, as part of it is pretty loose...
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 314 / Views: 25,753Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05