Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Unusual Coinage Materials/Post Your Unusual Materials Coins!

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 334 / Views: 35,094Next Topic
Page: of 23
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2021  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty useful to know about copper selenide. I didn't know that. It looks like that explains things like blackened steel. For example, there's a German medal 'I gave gold for iron' that is a WWI medal that's blackened iron. That's probably how they made it...

Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to remember to stop by every so often. I'm finding that no matter how hard I try, the finish line never pops up.

This is a trade token made out of a celluloid matchsafe and likely dates to the 1910s. Hal Dunn, in his book on trade mirrors, noted that he know of exactly one of these, but this is at least the second one.

This too is the second of its kind that anybody's reported. It's a trade nail file. Only background I know is that some company was issuing this exact sort of nail file as an advertising promotion (with your company's name stamped in it) so apparently somebody thought it'd make for a nice trade token.

This unassuming plastic banana is a 75 cent trade token issued by the Seaside Beach Resort in Jamaica. They issued these because carrying money on the beach was inconvenient. They can be snapped together to form bracelets or similar to make them less tedious to carry around.

The metal tags on this puzzle are considered two different tokens by Rulau. He noted that there are only two known full puzzles out there, but no less than 15 have been sold on ebay over the past decade.

Paper tokens trimmed with metal are far more common than the above but somewhat scarce. This is probably my favorite of them.

These are two of the harder to find British bone tokens, especially outside of England.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Page: of 23 Previous TopicReplies: 334 / Views: 35,094Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: