Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875 Trade Dollar Opinions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,492Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  4:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dcas55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
Please give me opinions on this 1875 Trade dollar. I'm concerned about Trade dollars because of the fakes. This is from a local coin shop I trust, so they should have checked it out, this coin is $110. What do you think?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very grainy. Looks suspect for being a cast counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mushy and grainy. It looks to be a counterfeit to me.

Here is a piece of advice to new collectors who want a Trade dollar. Buy only coins that are certified by NGC or PCGS. These coins were intended to go to China and the Chinese are sending real ones and for more fake ones back to us. Why fool around with raw coins when you don't know fully what you are doing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For $110 it was a steal but they might have stolen your money if it is fake.
Looks fake to me. IMHO.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10361 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it does look a little grainy in spots but I can't comment on authenticity. the two things that stand out to me are the fingerprint on the obverse and the cleaning was done. would counterfeiters actually put a fingerprint and clean the coin? I dunno but they could! VF details if real. I wouldn't touch it either way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would counterfeiters actually put a fingerprint and clean the coin? I dunno but they could! VF details if real. I wouldn't touch it either way.

You can bet your bippie that the Chinese counterfeiters will put anything on a piece of their manufacture to make you think it is real. That includes wear, toning, rim nicks, scratches and signs of cleaning.

Don't be fooled by problems. The Chinese add them to common dates to sell that junk to you because it's usually not even made out of silver. Don't think, "Oh it's a common date and looks like heck. It must be real."

NO, it might not be real.
Edited by billjones
03/28/2017 5:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The polishing was probably done to smooth out the cast or grainy surfaces and why not put a fingerprint on it to even hide more imperfections. I put nothing past counterfeiters to pass their junk.

Quote:
This is from a local coin shop I trust, so they should have checked it out, this coin is $110. What do you think?

Pass on it - let the coin shop keep it!!
Edited by Mark1959
03/28/2017 5:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7286 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Too grainy overall and the details are too mushy - modern Chinese fake.

The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59479 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Details coin either way. Pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4280 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing about it screams fake to me. The strike is reasonably strong, not mushy in the center like most modern cast fakes, and the details seem right. Some of the wear pattern and toning also seem genuine. Might be an old fake cast in a different metal - have you weighed it?
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BrianLikesCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it's a fake.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BrianLikesCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
!
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look closely at the denticles, folks. If you can't see that it's fake just from that, you need to buy a few cheap counterfeit coins to use as comparison.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% fake. Please run away!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7836 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would look for a better one.
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Denticles are wrong and stars are mis-shapened all over, then there's the reverse...

My fake is better than your fake!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05