Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8R Carolus IV Spanish Colonial 1790......... Real Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 792Next Topic  

Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  4:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gunstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

After reading a few of the previous posts..... I am a little apprehensive now about finding out. But the truth needs to be told so here it goes.

I bought this a while ago but had no idea about it at the time, here is the info about the coin.

1. It sticks to a magnet (sigh)
2. It weighs 21 grams
3. The mint marks don't correspond to any data out there.
4. The coin edge has circles and rectangles but not all the way around, I believe about 1/4 of the edge is sorta smooth because of the strike.
5. Carolus IV instead of IIII ?

Could somebody please give me some information about the authenticity of the coin?

Many Thanks in advance!
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tryna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry but that on is a fake. what you have listed tells us this.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1140 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The magnet is a smoking gun. Probably made of steel by guessing at the appearance. It's density would be about 7.87 instead of 10.3 and the nominal 20% underweight is also typical of steel instead of what should be silver.
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The portrait is a dead giveaway as much as a magnet is...

Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to All for your brutal honesty, though painful it is appreciated...... is there anyone else with perhaps another opinion?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2248 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bad hair and strange shine.

Bob judged this one to be a fake, but it's a lot better one. The weight is right.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/15/2017 8:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RockyRoad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some sort of novelty item sold at a tourist shop. Most museum stores sell ones that look more realistic and have the word "COPY" stamped somewhere on the reverse. Are you collecting 8 reales? If you are then this is the place to learn. CCF has been a fantastic resource for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1467 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2017  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's 227 year old coin.

Although it's possible, the condition is incredible. Also, it's an inferior counterfeit coin. Sorry....
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2017  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys...... this has been an education... I had Pirate fever for a while! I thought it was real considering the detail on the coin edge... I even thought I stumbled onto a rarity error in mintage. I didn't have my magnet with me when I went there! I know better next time!

Oh I forgot to mention, it looks shiny because I washed it with soap..... I guess that was a big NO NO?

If I have other world coins for opinions, do I post here or start a new thread?

By the way.... I am new to this site.
Edited by gunstar
04/16/2017 01:18 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 792Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05