Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Of You Are Actively Collecting?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
389 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  11:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've noticed that the board seems quiet and I'm curious as to how many people there are, who participate here, who are still actively collecting.

If you aren't is it because of the perception (or reality) of a shrinking market? If you are, are you having trouble finding good coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8586 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New releases are almost always high for the first couple years. After everyone gets what they wanted, things seem to level off or even drop considerably unless the coin is extremely low mintage.
Sometimes a little patience pays off when filling in holes for sets.
Everything seems to go in cycles. People get into a certain type coin or series and the prices rise for that series.
Sell when they are hot, and buy em when they're not.
For me right now slabbed ms69 and pf69 seem to be dirt cheap for some coins while everyone is chasing on ms70 or pf70.
Heck, some of the cost of buying a coin, cost more than buying one already graded. I have been on a kick for silver proof and silver uncirculated and modern commemoratives.
The silver content and the cost of submitting adds up to less than the boxed example. Go figure?
That MS69 and MS70 business makes no difference to me really. I buy the coin not the holder, but here I can look at some of those MS69's and 70's and not even be able to tell the difference.
It's a cherry pickers cherry tree if you ask me right now.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a Vicky large cent variety guy, I've lost the spark for "the hunt". I still try to help others with ID's. I haven't been on eBay for months and months.
Valued Member
Canada
215 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've noticed that the board seems quiet and I'm curious as to how many people there are, who participate here, who are still actively collecting.

I'm still hunting and still posting. Edited: The value of the Canadian dollar to the US dollar is not helping either. So starting to look at LCS and Canadian eBay stores only. I will even hunt at antique stores and shows.

The reality is, summer's coming very quickly, and the missus wants me off the computer. So off to the beach, to the parks, and to the patio.

Unless I find a coin that is interesting or have something to say here, I'll default back to a forum lurker.

Happy summer everyone!
Edited by the_sifu
05/10/2017 12:29 pm
Valued Member
Canada
435 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am hardly active anymore.

The new stuff, especially 99.8% of the crap the RCM puts out has really turned me off coins.
The painted stuff, the bedazzled stuff, the stuf with holograms stuck to them, and now the shaped "coins"... all crap in my book.

I made a conscious decision to greatly scale back my modern coin collection;
After our money went to steel coins, and plastic bills, I have been looking for a reason to almost stop;
My first child was born in 2015, and I decided that other than continuing to fill holes for current year coins in my Lighthouse books, I was going to stop.

I do most of my buying now at the monthly local coin club meetings, and even them most of the stuff I buy is decades older than myself;
Some recent purchases are
1942 'tombac' MS
1943 'tombac' MS
1938 'silver dollar' AU55
1858 Penny
1960 'proof' set

I lost alot of my interest also when the penny was killed;
That coin was the genesis of my collection, and is the single most comprehensive collection I have (I am only missing a couple early large cents)

I was buying some on FB groups, but I was seeing guys being generous with their grading, and that kinda soured me;
which is why I pretty much only buy coins that I see in person.

I do though intentionally buy the 'regular' uncirculated set for myself every year.
Edited by unruhjonny
05/10/2017 12:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chase55t to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely. I am still collecting anything and most likely will never stop. Silver, copper, gold, etc. I could have 20 MS66 Silver Washington quarters and not be satisfied. Especially because I would love to have every seated coin ever minted, although that will never happen.

Recent purchases:
1855 Seated Liberty quarter
1876-CC Seated Liberty dime
1876-CC Seated Liberty quarter
1908 V nickel
1938-D Jefferson nickel
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with Morgan/Peace dollars a long time ago as a kid, along with all US type coins. I was out for a while, but recently come back to collecting after dusting off my old collection. I sold lots of gold & silver coins/bullion at the recession around 2008, but still have hundreds of silver coins which I enjoy very much.

I'm always looking for US silver coins, especially Morgans & and all types of halves, Bust, Barber, Walker, & Franklin. But lately, with help of CCF, I begin to wonder World silver coins, especially older silver pesos, even though all are less than 90% silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1472 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still finishing up a couple of sets, but am not starting anything new and major. I've reached where the value of the collection is beginning to concern me as too much money tied up in non-performing assets.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6331 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm most definitely still actively collecting. I haven't made any big purchases lately but have got the 2017 British BU set, the 2 silver Britannia, Chinese New Year 2 and Queen's Beasts silver bullion 2-ounce coin. I'm also sorting through bags of 50p coins from the bank and trying to get all the Beatrix Potter coins - still missing Squirrel Nutkin. I go around all the local Boot Fairs in the summer and make an occasional bid on eBay if I see something I like... and I've had a few nice additions thanks to other CCF members!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still collecting but only have a very few, hard to find coins left to get. Even upgrades for coins I already have are getting harder to find. More because my collection is realistically almost as complete and high grade as I can afford to make it than because there's a dearth of good coins at good prices out there. No perception of a shrinking market here though. Market has been spreading out across different sales platforms and higher issues which may appear to be 'shrinkage' in certain areas but not of the entire market. The biggest change for me was deciding to stop collecting all RCM issues after 2014. There were just too many coming out to keep up. I got some 2015 NCLT's I liked and a few 2016s and just 1 2017 to date (that finished up a set for me). Haven't kept any post-2015 circulation at all.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
p.s. Starting to work on expanding my UK coin collection into a full type set. After that will possibly be an all countries of the world set...
Learn More...
United States
15313 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JACA, based on the location within CCF that you posted and the first few replies, I was thinking that you were asking this of Canadian coin collectors. I agree with others that my appetite for Canadian coins has waned somewhat, although it was never a super active area for me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2017  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still actively collecting. Only need 3 coins for my PCGS registry set w/out varieties (1858-1952). So hunting for varieties and upgrades is my current focus.

Gene
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2017  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still actively collecting and searching for the 1859 Haxby die pairs I still need. Still enjoying it too!
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2017  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stogie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do keep an eye out for coins on eBay and places like Heritage Auctions, yet I am not active right now. This has to do with a combination of the fact that the market is shrinking and values (as per CCN trends and the Charlton catalogue) are vastly way too high given the shrinking market. It is a classic case of oversupply and low demand...something's got to give and I don't want to be the sucker left holding the bag. I can easily wait until prices become more realistic/in tune with reality. Add into the mix you see a lot of sellers on eBay asking way over trends for their coins...I really have no interest in paying the outrageously exorbitant prices these sellers want. It also doesn't help that the RCM keeps pumping all these stupid, useless and crappy commemoratives into our circulating coinage. For me it is very tiring and a huge turn off for coin collecting.
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2017  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JACA, based on the location within CCF that you posted and the first few replies, I was thinking that you were asking this of Canadian coin collectors. I agree with others that my appetite for Canadian coins has waned somewhat, although it was never a super active area for me.

Correct. However if collectors of US and others would like to weigh in so much the better.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05