Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Official Post A "Black Beauty" Jefferson Nickel Thread!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
United States
7565 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C'mon Sel, do it !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10222 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  03:06 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
C'mon Sel, do it !

If you do, use a 1958 or 1959 Philly nickel in MS and send it to me for inspection/comparison. It's easy to darken coins, but not in this way and with the same results.

@Jatour

That is a normal-looking worn War nickel. Because the composition is different, circulated examples are known for having a darker done. Not a BB.

Quote:
I feel its alloy mix reacting differently in anneal process...

@MartinD86

I believe the alloy is what ultimately caused the difference. Whether that was made noticeable by annealing is not known to me. Also, maybe post pics of your darkest nickel there next to the "normal" one. There's no need to include an intermediate coin like that, it's just normal toning.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
07/06/2019 03:08 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16018 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used Australian copper nickel 20 Cent (25% nickel 75% copper, 11.3 grams 28.5 dia) coins for my little bit of fun with the check - out chicks.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Standfast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1962. Black beauty?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16018 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly the same result that I have achieved with my coin blackening chicanery.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11865 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without singling anyone out there are only a handful of CCF members who truly know what a Black Beauty Nickel looks like . Those who do ,know who they are and those who Don't also know who they are .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartinD86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I simply posted three different color nickels..the pink one is alot pinker than the pic shows which is not..normal tone for a nickel or youd see pink nickel all the time jus like black..i took this pink nickel to my local coin guy and even he said something was off with alloy mix..so my bad for showing it..i figured maybe it would show that many nickels turn all kinds of colors and something causes it..and I say..alloy..its really no debate..guess it really depend how pure the nickel is..maybe my bb aint really a bb.looks real.jus like the 59s..or maybe you guys think this only happen to a batch of them in 59 to 60 and theres really people out there faking these and defacing coins purposly to look like an errors jus to put into circulation..maybe so..is it coin dealers trying to get people interested idk..it annoys me honestly..my bad for posting a pink nickel with my black one..i also have a rusty one..hmm..idk what causes rust on a nickel..maybe wrong alloy mix..i just wont post on other people posts anymore..thank you
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartinD86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly my bb sits in the way way way back of my book because they r either burnt or ed..all of um..garabage and easily faked jus like my local says
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartinD86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To much iron..to much cobalt..to much heat.to much moisture..to much to go wrong..if I aint straight from the mint in a capsule it isn't real..its ed..prolly some chemical in the coin rolls back then..who knows..even if it was real most look at it as the burnt nickel..only carrys value in the eye of the collector
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartinD86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really mean no disrespect to anyone on here through this debate I just feel if its pink its not normal..i feel the bbs that are most likely fake are from 59 through 60 when they were big..hence why there are so many in them years..i doubt highly the mint cut these out of an all black sheet of metal..you could prolly burn them and then polish um up....i do beleive in impurities in a few of these nickels which help them turn black or pink or rusty..moister can rust a nickel..but there could b to much iron aswell..heat can turn a nickel black..but so cant to much cobalt..i beleave highly that a pink nickel from 2001 with a scratch test showing pink in scratch is legitly not toning and why do certain nickels even tone pink..black..brown..rusty..they can be real..or ed..but if real..i beleave them all to b..unpure alloy
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartinD86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Standfast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm new here, but this response caught me off guard.

Quote:
Without singling anyone out there are only a handful of CCF members who truly know what a Black Beauty Nickel looks like . Those who do ,know who they are and those who Don't also know who they are

I just didn't seem to be in the spirit of the site. HOWEVER, it did prompt me to actually read all of the pages in the thread. (Which I should have done prior to posting anyway) And, now I realize that my asking about my '62 proof was bordering on idiotic! The info I needed had already been stated and restated. I'll now be on the lookout for true black beauties. So, while I doubt it was directed at me, thanks for the tough love!
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05