Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With An Ancient Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,256Next Topic  
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2017  10:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this coin a long time ago and since then It's bothering me that I can't identify it... Can someone help me? It's almost as thick as a sestercius, but much smaller. I bought it as being greek, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Learn More...
United States
23607 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2017  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the community

Sorry but there really isn't enough detail to tell who it might be. From what I can make out on the obverse the image looks a little like Antoninus Pius but that's just a guess.

Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried making a blowup of the pics and brightening them:

Not much luck. With some imagination on the obverse (left) I saw a bust facing right with a small pointed chin or beard curved forward, a clear eye, and a large "Panonnian" hat. There seems to be an ear well to the back, and a well proportioned neck and shoulders below.

The reverse is no better. The raised imagery appears to be a "puffy" figure with a head having large ears, puffy arms and legs which splay out from a puffy torso. The only association I could make for that is Fuzzy Wuzzy. (I think I spent too much time with my grandson yesterday.)
Learn More...
United States
20845 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only association I could make for that is Fuzzy Wuzzy.

It could be, but the obv design elements don't line up:

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v13n18a21.html

@GMP, sorry but I agree that there isn't too much to go on with this one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1025 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of see Hermes in his famous hat right in the left photo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6005 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The raised imagery appears to be a "puffy" figure

Always interesting how we can read indistinct imagery differently. With a bit of imagining, I can almost see a satyr/Pan with one of the figure's arms becoming a heavy brow.

Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2017  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greekandromancoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing wrong in giving up on attributing highly worn coins.

We all have a collection of such coins. I have hope that technology will one day catch up and we will be able to scan photos of our coins and software will analyse it for possible matches.

Peter
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2017  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have hope that technology will one day catch up and we will be able to scan photos of our coins and software will analyse it for possible matches.

I'm waiting for that software to work the faces of old photographs. I have boxes of unattributed photos my wife inherited. I just can't throw them out because they are her relatives.
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I guess I will do an extensive search at wildwinds, thanks for the replies!
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is nothing wrong in giving up on attributing highly worn coins.

This is a hard thing to do... I also collect brazilian coins and there are lots of coins that are struck over older ones. Sometimes it's tough to accept that we can't identify what the base coin is...
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From what I can make out on the obverse the image looks a little like Antoninus Pius but that's just a guess.

Can it be roman? It's small as a denarius and thick as a sertercius, I don't know anything like that is no greek...
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2017  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greekandromancoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of interest, where did you find the coin - in an uncleaned lot?

It looks like a Roman Provincial to me, but I cannot articulate why.

It looks like either Septimus Severus or Antoninus Pius to me on the obverse. More like Septimus Severus to me.

Perhaps try searching the bronze coinage of those emperors on wildwinds and see if something matches the broad outline of your coin.

Here's one possibility: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/...mov_2833.jpg

The stance of the figure on that coin is reasonably similar in stance and proportion.

Edited by greekandromancoins
06/08/2017 12:17 am
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2017  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Out of interest, where did you find the coin - in an uncleaned lot?

I swapped it with a friend who bought it as an unidentified greek coin

I don't think it's roman, take a look at this pic

In the left there is a sestercius, in the middle the unidentified coin and in the right is an AE of Aurelianus
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2017  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greekandromancoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Why cannot it not be a Roman Provincial / Greek Imperial?
They come in all sorts of sizes.

Peter
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why cannot it not be a Roman Provincial / Greek Imperial?
They come in all sorts of sizes.

That's something I wasn't aware of, it opens new possibilities...
Thanks for the tip
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today I decided to atempt to remove the sticky residue that this coin had. Everything went fine. I was browsing wildwinds and found some similarities with Janus bifronte coins, though I'm not so sure that this is as example. I've taken better pics:

Edited by Giovanni Miceli Puperi
09/22/2021 12:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,256Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05