Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Best Way To Submit To NGC?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  10:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm preparing my first group of coins (trying to get to 5+ coins) to submit to NGC, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I was going to do the $149 annual, which gives it back in grading credit, but I'm honestly not sure if I have 5 coins that I should submit. Also considering joining ANA, which would give me submission abilities along with the benefits of ANA membership. What do/did most of you do?

The other issue is designating a value for the tier. One coin is a 1795 Large Cent, that is the S76-a variety (R-5), which is in good condition at best. Folks here put a value of $300 on it, which I understand, but because of the rarity, could NGC bump me to the next tier? I know I would have to pay for the variety designation.

Another coin is my recently posted 1922 No D /Weak D. My coin dealer and myself are convinced it's a No D/strong reverse, which would put the value in the $500 range. Folks here seem to think it's a weak D, which would put it's value at maybe $30. Which tier would I want to submit it under? And would this require a Variety service, or is the No D/Weak D one they would just designate as to which one it is?

Then I have two Flying Eagles I may want graded and slabbed, but the jury is still out on those.

Don't know why. but trying to decide how to do this has given me a headache!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9982 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have an answer because I'm in the same boat. I just have not come to commit myself to joining ANA, NGC or PCGS. I know that others submit coins through their LCS and I have yet to make the trip to the closest for me. I don't even know if they do that or how much it costs.

To be honest, I'm most tempted to join PCGS to get 8 grading vouchers (whatever level that is). Partly because PCGS graded coins seem to sell better and also because the slabs will all fit nicely into my PCGS box. That last one is not really a sensible reason, is it?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16904 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you figure the costs the closer you can get to 15 coins the less it will cost for submission and postage costs for an average cost per coin.

$200 is the minimum value I use for NGC submission.

Check actual sold prices for PCGS or NGC on any $200+ coin and you'll find NGC wins best prices most frequently. Use Heritage, Stacks, and Great Collections for best current sold prices and easy comparison.

Patience is always a virtue. Wait until you have more coins to keep cost per coin more reasonable.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If cost is a consideration, then with both PCGS and NGC you need to look at the economy tiers - you trade time for $.

With NGC, it's $300 maximum value, 5 coin minimum, $20/coin plus handling and return shipping (and your shipping to NGC unless you drop off at a show they are attending). Regular is $3000 maximum value, no minimum and $30/coin.

Membership (to allow submissions) is free for ANA members, $39 - no credit or $149 - $150 credit towards services.

ANA membership starts at $28, so it's cheaper than the $39 membership and has other benefits. The $149 membership is a wash if you submit 5 regular coins at $30/each.

PCGS charges $20 and $32 for economy/regular. Plus a $69 membership (no vouchers) or $149 membership (4 vouchers - or $128 value if used for regular, $300-3000 coins)

You have 3 coins at $200 ea, 1 @ 300 and 1 @ 500. So you are looking at regular tier. total valuation of $1,400 (figures into return shipping/handling/insurance, but should be roughly similar for both companies).

NGC: 5 * 30 = 150 + 8/invoice + s/h/I ... ANA or regular $149 membership, either way the same costs

PCGS: 5 * 30 = 160 + $10/invoice + s/h/i ... membership is $69 (or $169 but that doesn't make sense to use for $128 in fees).

If you pick the wrong tier, customer service SHOULD call you, both because they want their extra fee and because if they don't fix it, it goes out insured at the lower valuation. If the package is lost, they pay the lower of indicated value or market price. You can't claim your 22D is worth $5,000 hoping for the insurance payout.

-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3204 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally up til last year I preferred NGC, cause I had a ANA membership and they turnaround times were quicker. I now use PCGS through my friend and business partner in coins cause he gave me his username/access info to submit coins whenever I wanted and I pay everything on my credit card , cash etc. I stopped using NGC cause they severely undergraded several of my coins, whereas I sent them to PCGS and got the correct grade. Also the whole debacle NGC pulled earlier this year accusing PCGS of overgrading, blah blah blah, I got to the point where I'm mad at them that I have pretty much only buy PCGS graded coins now, and have sold many of my NGC graded coins because of my distaste for them.

Basically it pays for my buddy to have a PCGS membership cause it saves me money in the end and cause I have free reign on submitting whenever I want with his account. PCGS is still the top grader IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm bumping this thread because I will shortly be receiving a world coin which I will submit to NGC (both authenticity and grade are of interest to me). As this will be my first ever submission, I'd like some help understanding the fee structure.
This is a world coin, with a market value under $300, since I just paid less than that for the coin. If I submit a single coin, is it correct that I will be charged $20 for the submission, plus a $10 handling fee plus postage?
And how much is postage typically for one coin?

Last, once the coin is graded, is it possible for the submitter to receive information before the coin arrives? I ask this question because if there is an authenticity issue, I may be up against a return deadline.

Thanks in advance.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12371 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a world coin, with a market value under $300, since I just paid less than that for the coin. If I submit a single coin, is it correct that I will be charged $20 for the submission, plus a $10 handling fee plus postage?
And how much is postage typically for one coin?

Yes it will be the grading fee for the tier + the handling fee of $10 + the return shipping which will be like 25ish for a single coin.

Quote:
Last, once the coin is graded, is it possible for the submitter to receive information before the coin arrives? I ask this question because if there is an authenticity issue, I may be up against a return deadline.

You can check on it through your online account. You'll get the grades when it ships, but be forewarned they ship registered so it can easily take over a week to get back to you
Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much.

Yikes that postage is steep. Maybe I'll dig around and see if there is something else worthy of submission to spread those costs.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12371 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yikes that postage is steep. Maybe I'll dig around and see if there is something else worthy of submission to spread those costs.

Their shipping in general is expensive for registered mail.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/resources/p...b=2018-12-12
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15743 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yikes that postage is steep.

NGC returns everything by Registered mail. If you are just sending one relatively low value coin, yes it is steep. If you are sending multiple lower valued coins you spread the cost over several pieces and it is not that much. If you shipment is higher in value $1K+, Registered is actually cheaper than Priority with insurance. And the higher the value of the shipment the cheaper it gets.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12371 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you shipment is higher in value $1K+, Registered is actually cheaper than Priority with insurance. And the higher the value of the shipment the cheaper it gets.

For normal people yes, but NGC and PCGS both ship with private insurance and probably self insure some of the low value submissions so Postal insurance costs are not a factor.

PCGS ships a combination of Priority and Express mail with the USPS and their shipping is cheaper than NGC and gets significantly more cheaper the higher the value is. As an example a 16 Coin $50,002 submission with NCG will cost $149 in return shipping, that same submission with PCGS would only cost $71.35. NGCs shipping is just expensive across the board for such a slow registered service.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05