Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A new coin set from the Mint on 8-1-17, EU 225th Anniversary Set

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sealed boxes of $100 selling on eBay for $5000. Flip and lock in the profits. Smart! Wonder what percentage of these sold to actual end consumers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone ever sued the U.S. Mint in the Court of Federal Claims for discriminating against working people who can't place an order within five minutes of the middle-of-the-workday sales time?

Working people are not a protected class.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4561 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is despicable! It's like scalping tickets to sporting event or concerts and end up having to pay astronomical prices!
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present

*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present

*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
639 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Check dd27's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if enough coin collectors wrote their U.S. Representatives and Senators to complain about this discriminatory unfair policy, if it would make a difference?

---

Edit on 1 Aug 2017 @ 14:16 forum time (Central USA): I scrubbed 'discriminatory' because it is a trigger word of sorts for some folks, and I want to focus on this single issue, not get into a Alt Right vs. Crazy Progressives political debate.
Mark Worthen, Park City, UT
Edited by dd27
08/01/2017 3:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
639 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Check dd27's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Working people are not a protected class.

Probably better to lobby Congress anyway, but I do very much appreciate your insight. Thank you.
Mark Worthen, Park City, UT
Pillar of the Community
United States
4561 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it will do any good dd27, they are in it for the money. They could care less about the average collector. Having no HHL is insane!
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present

*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present

*And just a mix of everything else!
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint is not familiar with the parable about the golden goose.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The suggestion about limiting initial purchases seems like a valid idea to me. I wonder what that would do to the secondary market? If you give the real collectors a chance to get their sets, it would limit the market, however slightly, for the middle men. Do you think the Mint would allow the resellers to stock up because of the sales volume? I don't know, but I can imagine that they probably sell a few more sets by doing business in their usual manner. I'm not complaining, just pondering...
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got the confirmation email but the Mint's Order History page still didn't show up yet...... I guess we are getting used to this "Instant Result" mentality?
I noticed the same on the last few orders I have placed, so I am not worried about it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone ever sued the U.S. Mint in the Court of Federal Claims for discriminating against working people who can't place an order within five minutes of the middle-of-the-workday sales time

Give it a try and let us know how you do
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You'd think the Mint would learn and put a 5HH limit for the first week or even few days so that everyone had a crack.
I agree. It is not like they have never done it before.
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double edged - HH limit would give collectors a chance to buy, but on the other hand- I really don't think the market of collectors that "must have" this is 225k. They probably would have had a hard time clearing that inventory. The market is going to be over saturated, wait a few months and it will be like APMEX selling last years gold releases for less than mint is selling them for. I do think the $30 price point will offset this going below initial price, but I have a feeling the secondary market will level at $28-35

** disclaimer: this is speculation. I don't track US mint sales . Just from my 3-4 years of following the "hot" releases. There are only a couple over the past few years that have maintained scarcity and held significant resell value on secondary market
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add... work phone rang at 11:56..... logged on at 12:08 and thought the unavailable was a mistake, so I'm probably totally wrong with my speculation
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the US Mint's perspective (and a shortsighted, purely $$$ perspective I might add), it makes more sense to fill one order of 225k sets than 225k orders for one set each. They operate like a business and the more inventory they sell, the faster and more efficiently they do it, the bigger their profit. They need to produce these sets, store them somewhere, ship them to the distribution center, store them there again - you want these in & out in no time to get your money back.
Now, that's assuming you don't give a toss about your customers. But let's face it, they are the only US Mint in the US. If they had competition, things would be different (or not...).

What happened today (and many times before) is called a free market. Supply & demand determine the price - in very simple terms that is.

I do feel sorry for those who were left stranded and those paying $$ on eBay right now as this is the only chance to close a gap in their collection.

It is what it is...
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My order finally shows up on the Order History page. Whew.
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05