Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A new coin set from the Mint on 8-1-17, EU 225th Anniversary Set

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bet is these will still be available at the mint weeks from now. Mintage is at least 100k too high. Like most mint products, it will be wise to just wait and buy them on the secondary market for cheaper than the mint's price.
Edited by Bassmaster_3
07/30/2017 9:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4278 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  02:34 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting...I agree 225k is a tad high BUT $30 is the key point. I think that will prevent "weeks"

I also agree these will flood the market shortly after issue....

Not the normal pre-sale hype sales. Two sold at $60 and six at $50 but most in the $32-36 range.

Note the $32 completed sales (a few) were with free shipping...minus the approx 13% eBay fee and shipping costs and that cements a decent loss for the seller right from the get go. Kind of a "Duh!"

Edited by Foxwoods Man
07/31/2017 02:35 am
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alvaro77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note the $32 completed sales (a few) were with free shipping...minus the approx 13% eBay fee and shipping costs and that cements a decent loss for the seller right from the get go. Kind of a "Duh!"
"good, good.

I think this sets will be the ones that sellers dont think will grade ms70 or even ms69. This sellers will buy a bunch of sets to send for grading and the ones that look ugly, with spots etc will try to unload on eBay even for a little loss cause they will make hundreds on the so call perfect 70 slab ones they sell to fools.
You will say, why wont they returned the ugly sets back to the usmint. I think you have to send back your entire order for a refund not just the ones you pick because they have defects. They lose some on those sets but gain a lot on the graded sets. Thats the game. They cant return a few problematic set back for a partial refund, it has to be all or nothing.
Edited by alvaro77
07/31/2017 03:49 am
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone tell me what the different between this set and the proof set other then the 225Th.Hope I'm asking the right way.Thanks

Proof Set:
https://catalog.usmint.gov/proof-se...uct-schedule

225th anniversary enhanced
https://catalog.usmint.gov/225th-an...uct-schedule

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TVG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This hits on pretty much every major modern collection - cents, quarters, kennedys, etc. Even at sellout with each collector getting one a piece, there's still going to be roughly 2/3 of the folks that buy proof sets left in the dark on this one. Think about it before you call this one a dud.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can someone tell me what the different between this set and the proof set.

In short:

Proof: Coin devices (the raised portions of the design) have a frosty finish/appearance while the fields have a highly-polished mirror-like appearance.

Enhanced Uncirculated: The coin's devices have a frosty finish but the fields are not mirror-like as on a proof coin.

Standard Uncirculated: The coin's devices and fields have the same finish (no frost, no mirrors)

The visual differences seen between the coins are attributed to the way the dies are prepared for each coin.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Edited by commems
07/31/2017 08:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You will say, why wont they returned the ugly sets back to the usmint. I think you have to send back your entire order for a refund not just the ones you pick because they have defects.

This is not correct. You can send back whichever ones you want for whatever reason you want. I've done it many times due to the mint's poor QC.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an example of what @Bret was describing...

If you buy five proof sets and find that one is defective, you may return the one set for replacement and keep the others. However, if you find one coin in a five-coin set defective, you must return the entire set for replacement, not just the one defective coin.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Learn More...
United States
62600 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This hits on pretty much every major modern collection - cents, quarters, kennedys, etc. Even at sellout with each collector getting one a piece, there's still going to be roughly 2/3 of the folks that buy proof sets left in the dark on this one. Think about it before you call this one a dud.
Good point.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...there's still going to be roughly 2/3 of the folks that buy proof sets left in the dark on this one. Think about it before you call this one a dud.

good point indeed... and let's not forget the big guys are going to likely snap these up by the thousands. I will be ready at noon Eastern to make sure I get a set.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still say dud. What was the mintage on the March of Dimes set with the special proof dimes? Or the 2014 Kennedy half proof set? And the last Native American EU dollar? Those all languished for quite a while and had lower mintages. Even looking at regular proof sets sold, I am not convinced that the majority arent being bought by wholesalers instead of individual collectors. Mintage should have been 75k max. The individual collectors will buy the first day, plus some orders by dealers, but the number of sets sold after the few days should be a strong indicator of the real demand.

I don't know how to do a poll, but will predict that 75k sets sell in the first week. $30 seems like an attractive price point, but I think about the time I was naive and paid $25 for a bunch of 2005 clad proof sets from the mint that are worth $6 now. I want a set for my collection...just saying in a few years I can most likely pick one up for half the price.

Edited by Bassmaster_3
07/31/2017 1:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alvaro77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes bassmaster, proof sets are just shiny change. Its like a souvenier. Its worth face value. Why will it be worth more just because is shiny. Ex. A brand new dollar bill is worth the same as a worn dollar bill, get it.
Collectors buy the proof sets as a souvenier thing, no real value there. people pay the inflated price because the coins look cool in a plastic lens but they know its really just worth face value at the end.
Edited by alvaro77
07/31/2017 3:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
62600 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still say dud. What was the mintage on the March of Dimes set with the special proof dimes? Or the 2014 Kennedy half proof set? And the last Native American EU dollar?
Those are sets that appeal to only one collector. The dime collector, the half dollar collector, or the dollar collector.

This set appeals to many different collectors. This is not to say the mintage is not too high (it is), but that it will beat our expectations (which are, you have to admit, rather low).
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19547 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes bassmaster, proof seta are just shiny change. Its like a souvenier. Its worth face value. Why will it be worth more just because is shiny.

alvaro77, I'm growing pretty weary of you trolling members and trying to force your opinion on them.

We get it, YOU think they're worth face value.

However, decades upon decades of rock solid sales data prove you wrong in the real World. Proof coins sell for a premium all day long every single day all over the World.

Sorry to cloud the issue with rock solid indisputable facts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with bobby.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05