Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A new coin set from the Mint on 8-1-17, EU 225th Anniversary Set

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
alvaro77, I agree that it's getting old too. Why are gold, silver, and diamonds worth more? You can make the argument that they shouldn't be more valuable than dirt, but the fact is that they have been valuable for all of recorded history.

I expect that this set will hold its value around $30 in the years to come, but it will likely be overpurchased at the start. I'll be getting the same five like I do when I order proof sets.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TVG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I predict this to go currently unavailable within minutes tomorrow as existing inventory gets snapped up. This will be followed by a quick spike up in price on eBay as people make panic buys thinking the entire 225k is sold out accompanied by a mad rush at the shows that will have them for sale. Then once people realize that they haven't all been put together yet and the run isn't completely sold out, prices will settle but for still above list.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the reason that gold, silver, and diamonds are worth more than dirt is because of their rarity and their fungibility. I just hope people realize that if this set "holds its value" at $30, then you are actually losing money because of the principle of time value of money and inflation.

Everyone is entitled to collect what they like, but for a lot, and probably the majority, of people who collect things, there is an implicit assumption that what one buys will increase in value over time, and that in bringing individual items together into a collection they are creating synergy and value. I am just put off by what I would characterize as modern NIFC spam. Most of these products will be available for 1/4 of their sales price in 20-30 years. Just look at the 1970s-1980s proof sets as a case in point. Done venting...just tired of seeing the mint and dealers make money while the individual collector comes up short.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alvaro77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well from my experience proof sets coins are worth face value cause coin shops in my area dont even want them for face value. And why will I be trolling just because I have a different opinion on it. If thats the case then you guys are trolling me also for disagreeing with me. Its just my opinion dont bully me. We supposed to have different opinion on things if not it will be a boring world. So I'm not allowed to be in this forum because I think different than you, I'm still a coin collector and have the right to be here. We dont supposed to like every coin product. To me proof sets are shiny change not worth collecting, you guys think its worth a lot, just different opinions. We all have the right to be here and say what we think. I'm more of a classic coin collector, morgans etc. I do have the anniversary silver eagle sets 20th, 25th, SF and WP but thats it for moderns.

Well to tell you the thuth I have some proof sets from 1999 to 2009 that I have been phasing out. Nobody wants to buy them from me, not even for face value at my local coin shops. And to sell by mail its not worth it with Shipping cost etc. Ive been spending them. Specially the ones that have haze, toning, smudges. The state quarters in the laundry machines when I forget to get quarters from my bank. Presidential dollar ones for gas. the rest are to small denomination to spend, will probably give them to my little niece for the wow there shiny reaction. No sense on selling them for face or less, better to spend them. Sad but true I dont want this coins. oh the half dollars I keep because its an odd denomination not common in circulation.
Edited by alvaro77
07/31/2017 4:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unavailable in 60 minutes
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to repeat myself BUT ...these will be available at four locations AND online. That severely decreases the online numbers available...

..and this just ain't gonna happen:

Quote:
My bet is these will still be available at the mint weeks from now.

More of a day one sellout chance than that.

..and...Alvaro..comparing this set to sets with a mintage in the MILLIONS just is not appropriate but you can equate apples and oranges...no problem..no thought but no problem.

Edited by Foxwoods Man
07/31/2017 4:25 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TVG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also going to make another prediction - this set will go for double issue price....but broken up. This set is a lens cracker's dream. Flip off each individual piece to the appropriate collector base. Don't forget this will be the first alternate finish cent, nickel and quarters EVER (I believe). Also quick question: how many of the 2014 Kennedy Anniversary sets were sold to just the Kennedy collectors? That issue price was $100 - with a $30 price tag this set is much more easily had. The more I think on this set the more I feel it's being underestimated. Big time. I was in for 20 before - I may go up on that considerably.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
alvaro77, so when others point out that they're sick of you putting down what they collect, you accuse them of bullying? I'm embarrassed for you. Nobody said that you were not allowed here. It's just that your put downs are getting old. I could say that what you collect is old worn out change, and that'd be true in a literal sense, but I'm happy that you enjoy it (plus I like it too). Sorry that you have not found an outlet to resell your proof sets. I suggest that you go to a large coin show. Walk the floor and you'll usually be able to find dealers that will sell proof & mint sets at bid and buy them at bid -10% or -15%. That's a fair deal if you ask me. Plus, you'll enjoy the show and find something to fill the holes in your collection.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alvaro77, you are right. You are totally entitled to express your opinion, and some people will get their feelings hurt because you criticized what they collect. I can see dealers not buying proofs because after you factor in their store carrying cost, they can't make a profit on them, but I am sure they would buy them for less than face value because that would be instant profit that could be redeemed in a coinstar machine.
I am trying to offload a bunch of modern UNCs in mint cellos and proofs as well. Very sad how little you get for them on eBay once all the fees and shipping are factored in. Back in 2005, I decided to jump on the state quarters bandwagon and purchased the 1999-2004 proof sets to catch up. That was right at the highpoint, and all those sets sell for less than a half of what I paid. This will be the first year I don't buy the annual proof and mint sets. Apart from 2009 and 2012(?), I am underwater on my purchases. At least I offset my losses by flipping those Presidential Coin and Chronicles sets. :)
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems thanks for your reply
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19467 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
alvaro77, so when others point out that they're sick of you putting down what they collect, you accuse them of bullying? I'm embarrassed for you. Nobody said that you were not allowed here. It's just that your put downs are getting old.

Exactly.

Trust me, one way or another, it will stop. Now that was bullying, just so you know. We've gotten over a dozen complaints about you alvaro and you've already had a have dozen posts removed.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alvaro77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did I got post removed? If so then I havent noticed. doesn't coin community forums let you know if you get a post remove by email or something. I have never got a notice of post removal.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alvaro77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do I get complaints for my comments?. Its just my opinion. Its like if I complain about bobby131313 for not thinking like me. This are just opinions here, you have to be able to take criticism from other members and dont cry like a lady like rachel and complaint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any difference in shipping time whether you order 1 set, 10 sets or 100?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1051 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more I think about this set, the more that I think it will be a winner. I think this is especially true if it gets out of the gates slow. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of the 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 P D Half Dollar 4 Coin Set which was issued for $10 and has appreciated about 50%. Maybe I'll buy more than five.

Quote:
Why do I get complaints for my comments?

Because you're being disagreeable. I'm guessing that you're probably younger than me. Over the years I've found (after being told) that the secret of success in conversation is being able to disagree without being disagreeable. For example, you've stated several times in a modern coin forum that modern proof coins are just shiny change. A better way to state this that would not put others off and would get your point across better would be say that modern proofs don't appeal to you because they lack history and don't hold their value. The latter does not depict collectors of such coins as dunces who are mesmerized bright shiny objects. It's more of a statement of facts and is therefore not personalized. Note that I'm not saying that you should lose your passion. Passion is a great thing. It just has to be focused in order to help you achieve you goals. In this case I'm guessing that your goal is to help others avoid losing money collecting coins that you've found are hard to sell.
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05