Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What is it with contemporary 3 cent silvers on eBay last week?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2633 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  11:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Different sellers, same fairly common contemporary counterfeit (the reverse is a dead give away, and also the mis-aligned lines of the star outline and the hook from the star into the date)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/372005135791
http://www.ebay.com/itm/362031135613

It was obviously a well used counterfeit die, I own a copy from the end of it's life when it shattered...

-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8719 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's unfortunate that trimes are so abundant as counterfeit, both contemporary and more recent.

Most of them can be spotted. I appreciate that you've taken the time to educate us on these.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2633 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you know your US history there was a little bit of a kerfuffle that occurred between 1861 and 1865.

As often happened in Wartime precious metal currency disappeared, followed by less valuable coins like that trime. And then even the copper coin disappeared.

At the end of the war they introduced a new 3 cent copper nickel so the Three Cent silver was an attractive coin for counterfeiters. It was vaguely remembered but it really hadn't been used/seen in several years. It was typically counterfeited out of German silver so it was cheap to make. Small and low value so people rarely looked at it very closely.
-----Burton
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12904 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think it would be counterproductive to counterfeit a seldom seen coin design. It would be a curiosity to people and they would examine in more closely. I would think a contemporary counterfeit would best be done on a design that everyone saw all the time so it warranted barely a glance. The early years of the war would seem to me to be the time for the production of circulating trimes.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2633 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2017  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was true that contemporary counterfeit 3cs passed long into the twilight of the coin.

Randomly, the NNP has "Dye's Government Counterfeit Detector" from January 1881, https://www.archive.org/stream/dyes.../40/mode/1up

-----Burton
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2633 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2017  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway, the new (to me) one:

0.65g

-----Burton
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05