Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fun For History Buffs: "When This Coin Was Made..."

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 16,246Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6030 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  2:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Should be pretty self explanatory; post a coin minted any year between 700 BC and 2017, and give a fun piece of history trivia about the year (or general time frame) of its minting. The coin does not have to relate directly to history, but that's an added bonus.

I'll start with a recent upload because I'm lazy:

British Essequebo & Demarary
1/2 Stiver

When this coin was made, Antarctica was nothing but a (widely discredited) theory. The southernmost continent would not be discovered for another seven years.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin and excellent topic idea!
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
March 4th, 1913 Woodrow Wilson becomes 28th US president.

Learn More...
United States
94410 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When this coin was made, Antarctica was nothing but a (widely discredited) theory. The southernmost continent would not be discovered for another seven years.
And now flat earth wing nuts think is is a wall of ice at the edge of the earth.
Learn More...
United States
94410 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When this coin was made, the Cubs would win the World Series that year...

1908-S Indian Head Cent

Same can be said for this medal...

Not as single coin or metal minted between these two years can say this.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
England - Elizabeth I Penny
Sixth issue, mm crescent, 1587-1589
S2580

1st February 1587

Queen Elizabeth I of England signs the death warrant of her cousin Mary, Queen of Scots, after Mary is implicated in a plot to murder Elizabeth. Seven days later, on the orders of Elizabeth's privy council, Mary is beheaded at Fotheringhay Castle.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7945 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1825 British shilling:

On 27 September 1825 the World's first public railroad to use steam locomotives opened between the towns of Stockton and Darlington in the North-East of England. Railways had existed prior to this, but they had generally been short lines serving collieries. The Stockton & Darlington was a public line open to general freight and passengers, and was the start of a revolution in world transportation.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6030 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions!

Here is a favorite Ancient of mine:

Peroz I, Shah of the Sassanid Empire
R. 459-484

He is a fascinating historical figure at the center of one of the greatest general upheavals in recorded history.

Timeline of Peroz's rule:
457-459 - Death of Peroz's father Yazdegerd II. His older brother Hormizd III ascends to the throne. Peroz seeks thr throne and takes refuge with Hepthalite Hun king Kushnavaz, who aids him in the civil war to gain power.
464-471 - Seven year famine nearly topples the Sassanian empire
460s - Kidarite Huns stop paying tribute; Peroz responds with military action, but is desperately short on funds and unable to organize a campaign. Byzantine emperor Leo refuses financial aid. Peroz is forced to sue for peace, then turns to Kushnavaz for aid in another campaign against the Kidarites. They succeed by 467.
469 - Kushnavaz betrays Peroz and seizes the former Kidarite capital for himself. Peroz launches a campaign, but is captured and forced to ransom himself. Emperor Leo assists in the ransom.
470s - Peroz launches another campaign to punish the Hepthalites. He is defeated again and this time forced to ransom his children and chief priest.
484 - Peroz amasses a huge army to topple Kushnavaz, but once again is defeated and dies in battle. The Huns invade and plunder the empire.

Lasting impact:
- Ransoms and plunder make the Hepthalite empire one of the most powerful entities in the world
- Huge influx of silver coins lead to their establishment as de facto silk road currency; Peroz imitations persist in Central Asia until the 8th century, and in India until the 13th century.

Meanwhile in the world:
450s-476 - Rome is sacked by Vandals in 455; rapid succession of weak puppet-emperors lead to fall of the Western Roman Empire to Odoacer in 476. Former Roman territory is now controlled mainly by Vandals, Visigoths, and Ostrogoths.
460s - Gupta empire begins rapid decline in face of aggressive invasions from "white huns", probably Hepthalites. Skandagupta dies in 467 and is succeeded rapidly by a series of ineffectual rulers. Gupta empire fractures.
464 - Buddhism reaches China for the first time under the monk Batua
474-476 - Death of Leo I and his grandson Leo II. Zeno rises to power, but is ousted briefly by usurper Basiliscus. Byzantine empire is unable to intervene in the fall of the West.
480 - Death of Julius Nepos, last legitimate Western Roman emperor in exile.
481 - Rise of Clovis, king of the Franks.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
18290 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea for a topic. I'll have to think about what I can contribute. In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying the posts so far.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
94410 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a favorite Ancient of mine:
A lot of history packed behind one little coin.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
England - Henry III cut 1/2d
Class 3c
Wilton Mint, unknown moneyer
1249-1250

Spring 1249 - University College, the first College at Oxford, is founded with money from the estate of William of Durham

Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Rj8xDU1T11c
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9290 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am gonna like this thread! Great idea. I'll find something to add.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1698 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The year this coin was minted, Millard Fillmore was president of the US and Franklin Pierce was elected. Pierce was a Democrat, his opponents were a Whig (Gen. Winfield Scott) and a Free Soil (John P. Hale). There were 31 States and slavery was common. Fredrick Douglass delivered his most famous anti-slavery speech on July 4, 1852. This was also the year that Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin.

On a personal note, this is also the year my gggrandfather immigrated from Arran, Scotland.

Edit: forgot to mention, when I found this coin it was wrapped in Scotch tape
Edited by Bump111
08/01/2017 9:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1586 Hungary Denar. In July of that year Sir Walter Raleigh brings first tobacco to England from Virginia and his protege - Sir Thomas Harriot - is credited with introducing potatoes.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9290 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
September 21 1877

Prospector Edward Schieffelin files his first mining claim after discovering silver ore on a high plateau between
the San Pedro River and the Dragoon Mountains in southeastern
Arizona Territory.

He names his stake "Tombstone".

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 16,246Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05