Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fun For History Buffs: "When This Coin Was Made..."

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 16,525Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The year this coin was minted, Millard Fillmore was president of the US and

Love US history!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1736 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love history, too. I think most coin fans are history fans. Enjoying this thread!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1312 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome idea for a thread with great contributions so far! Can't wait to see what else is posted
1870 3 Cent Nickel:

In February 1870, the 15th Amendment to the US Constitution was ratified. By that time, Congressional Republicans knew they had one last chance for a 2/3 majority to pass a black suffrage amendment. Previously, the right to vote had only been protected by state constitutions that could easily be redrafted, but the new amendment stipulated that a citizen's right to vote "shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

As a consequence of the new amendment, most Northerners felt that Reconstruction was over and they grew increasingly apathetic to the plight of African Americans and Republicans in the South. Without their support, Southern Democrats succeeded in overturning the Republican state governments and the US entered the dark Jim Crow era of racial segregation. When this coin was minted in 1870, the 15th Amendment represented a bright hope for a biracial democracy after the Civil War, but those aspirations were never fully realized.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9374 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
April 30th 1938
Be vewwy quiet ... I'm huwnting wabbits.

Bugs Bunny, then, just an unnamed and unrecognizable waskilly wabbit, made his debut in "Porky's Hare Hunt" cartoon.

more if you should care
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porky%27s_Hare_Hunt

The Buffalo nickel bid us goodbye as the Jefferson nickel was unshered in.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Prospector Edward Schieffelin files his first mining claim after discovering silver ore on a high plateau between the San Pedro River and the Dragoon Mountains in southeastern Arizona Territory. He names his stake "Tombstone".
Oh, nice one!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8119 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the Fall of 1847, or Autumn as we call it in England.

The Royal Mint has just celebrated Victoria's ten years on the throne with the amazing Gothic Crown, although most people will be more familiar with the Young Head version:

Even then, nobody would realise that this would be the last crown issued for circulation for 40 years!

In London, George Smith of Smith & Elder, publishers, receives an unsolicited manuscript from an unknown author called 'Currer Bell'. He passes it to his assistant, a no-nonsense Scot called James Taylor, to read. Mr Taylor is unusually ecstatic about it, so Mr Smith takes it home to read over the weekend. Engrossed in the manuscript, he spends all Sunday in his room, misses his usual church service and asks the servants to bring him sandwiches for lunch. The following day, back in the office, he writes to the author offering the then vast advance of £500 and orders the printers to bring out the book as soon as possible...

The author's real name was Charlotte Brontė, and the book was 'Jane Eyre'.
Edited by NumisRob
08/02/2017 1:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6039 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff in this thread

One of my favorite Japanese coins:

Hoei Tsuho 10 mon
May 1708 - Early 1709

This coin was a product of Sakoku, or the closing of Japan to the outside world. After expelling the "barbarian" Europeans, Japan enjoyed over 200 years of peace and prosperity as art and high culture flourished. Just one problem: their economy was fueled primarily by copper mon, or "cash" coins; it took several hundred or thousand mon for any major purchase beyond food. Coin production ramped up, but the copper mines were becoming exhausted and Sakoku prevented the importation of copper for coin production.

To conserve copper, the Shogun ordered the production of these large (37.5mm) cash coins that contained 3 mon of copper but were valued at 10 mon. The public did not like them, and after months of rejection, the Shogun issued an edict to punish anyone who would not accept the coins. This proved unenforceable, and the coins were withdrawn in early 1709.

Timeline:

December 14-15 1707 - Last eruption of Mt Fuji

March 23, 1708 - James Frances Edward, a Jacobite pretender, attempts to land an invasion fleet in Scotland to claim British throne.

May 20, 1708 - Order issued to begin production of Hoei Tsuho

October 9, 1708 - Battle of Lesnaya in the Great Northern War between Russia and Sweden. Russian victory.

October 12, 1708 - Italian missionary Giovanni Sidotti lands in Japan to spread Christianity, and is arrested upon landing. During interrogation he befriends Japanese politician and political philosopher Arai Hakuseki. He convinces a shift in the Japanese policy on illegal foreign landings, with a preference given to deportation or imprisonment over torture and execution. He is not permitted to leave, and is placed under house arrest at a mansion built specifically to hold foreigners. He is placed under the care of an elderly couple who were former Christians, and is placed in a cell within the house when caught trying to re-convert them. He died in 1714.

February 19, 1709 - Shogun Tsunayoshi is murdered by his wife to prevent a political disaster when her husband declared his intent to be succeeded by his homosexual lover. He is instead succeeded by his nephew.

August 7, 1709 - Emperor Higashiyama abdicates in favor of his son, due to health issues.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The author's real name was Charlotte Brontė, and the book was 'Jane Eyre'.
Nice story!

Quote:
One of my favorite Japanese coins: Hoei Tsuho 10 mon May 1708 - Early 1709
A very interesting timeline you have for this one.
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Counterfeit GB half crown.

On April 2 1819 Mary Bissaker was tried and found guilty of (among other coining offences) Felonly and traitoriously colouring with materials producing the colour of silver one base coin. On 23rd April 1819 she was hanged at Warwick. Could this have been one of her last counterfeits?
Edited by rockfish
08/02/2017 10:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11379 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always found this to be an interesting story because of the warning:

1915 German 1/2 Mark

From Wikipedia (not ashamed ):

"When RMS Lusitania left New York for Britain on 1 May 1915, German submarine warfare was intensifying in the Atlantic. Germany had declared the seas around the United Kingdom a war zone, and the German embassy in the United States had placed a newspaper advertisement warning people of the dangers of sailing on Lusitania. On the afternoon of 7 May, a German U-boat torpedoed Lusitania, 11 mi (18 km) off the southern coast of Ireland and inside the declared war zone. A second, unexplained, internal explosion sent her to the seabed in 18 minutes, with the deaths of 1,198 passengers and crew.

"Because the Germans sank, without warning, what was officially a non-military ship, many accused them of breaching the internationally recognized Cruiser Rules. It was no longer possible, however, for submarines to give warning due to the British introduction of Q-ships in 1915 with concealed deck guns. (Lusitania had been fitted with 6-inch gun mounts in 1913, although she was unarmed at the time of her sinking.) The Germans justified treating Lusitania as a naval vessel because she was carrying hundreds of tons of war munitions, therefore making her a legitimate military target, and pointed out that British merchant ships had violated the Cruiser Rules from the very beginning of the war.

"The sinking caused a storm of protest in the United States because 128 American citizens were among the dead. The sinking helped shift public opinion in the United States against Germany, and was a factor in the United States' declaration of war nearly two years later. After World War I, successive British governments maintained there were no munitions on board the Lusitania and the Germans were not justified in treating the ship as a naval vessel. In 1982, the head of the British Foreign Office's North America department admitted, however, that there is a large amount of ammunition in the wreck, some of which is highly dangerous and poses a safety risk to salvage teams."

Hmmm...

The newspaper warning:

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9374 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1820 Venus de Milo is found on the island of Milos

Created sometime between 130 and 100 BC, the statue is believed to depict Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty.

A side dish of Trivia ...
John Prine sings a line about her in
Please Don't Bury Me

"Venus De Milo can have my arms
Look out! I've got your nose
Sell my heart to the junk man
And give my love to Rose"

But this counterfeit ( as most were, yet widely accepted ) copper 1820 dated Bust and Harp Half Penny Token shows King George's head only.
Many rather crude varieties of this Half Penny Token circulated heavily in Lower Canada. The date is not correct for the actual year these were made.

Perhaps he is singing ....
I ain't got noooooo body!

So Venus, beautiful, even without her arms, still has that much more to be grateful for.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9374 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
spruett001 ! You would not believe this but I just looked at Titanic and Lusitania and decided I did not have a nice enough 1912 or 1915 picture to go with it. LOL
My favorite album!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11379 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2017  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TheNickelGuy

Maybe you have a nicer 1918 coin and post about the Carpathia. It has connections to the Titanic and had a similar fate as the Lusitania.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4052 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2017  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative thread.
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 16,525Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05