Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nezak Huns - A new Napki Malka  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3452 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  1:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Already have one, but he told me he was lonely

Nezak Huns (Kabul, Afghanistan or thereabouts)
"Napki Malka" type (c. 6th century AD)
BI Drachm

Napki-style bust right, wearing winged crown topped with bull's head, Pahlavi legend NPKY MLK
Fire altar and attendants; each attendant holds tall spear. "Sun wheel" above attendants' heads.

The extreme abundance and also huge variety of styles pretty much preclude any chance of "Napki Malka" being a given name
The top theory (from my reading) is that "NPKY" simply stands for Nezak, and MLK is a pretty standard word for "King" in languages that stem from Aramaic.

At any rate, I was excited to find an example in this portrait style, especially in a no-reserve auction format. It has some technical issues (flat-struck ring around the portrait and the reverse is a hot mess) so I was able to get it cheap. These are not easily found with well-struck reverses, but they usually have superb portrait artwork and strike quality for coins of their time. They range from "good" silver to almost pure copper; this one is very low grade billon, but has enough silver to ward off any serious patination.

Interesting side note is that these coins display some of the most artistically skilled portraiture in the world at the time of their manufacture.
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Pillar of the Community
United States
3452 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison, here is the one I bought about a year ago:

Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I have only one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic coin there, Steve. What a great portrait. I can see why you picked it up, even if it was a repeat in the collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3628 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the portrait is really nice. Great pick-up!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05