Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just wanted to show off my meager collection of Ancients  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:03 pm Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just had to have a couple/few just ta-have
Caught Finn selling and although a few are on the way yet, I have permission to post and copy his images and his wonderful info he provided for me.
Here's my Finn-ished collection so far.

( yeah finished uh huh .... we'll see about that )

No3.

Gallienus, sole reign 260-268
GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate bust right
DIANAE CONS AVG, Stag walking left
RIC 179
A weakly struck reverse with a superb portrait for the series. Attractive smooth black patina. This, along with the other "zoo series" were minted to invoke the divine protection against the continual onslaught of hardships facing the Empire. This one invokes Diana, goddess of the Hunt.

------------------
No9.

Tetricus I, Gallic emperor 271-274
IMP C TETRICVS PF AVG, Draped and radiate bust right
PAX AVG, Pax holding olive branch and scepter
RIC 100
Nice solid example of the type with a good portrait on a smallish flan.

--------------------
No11.

Tetricus I, Gallic emperor 271-274
IMP C TETRICVS PF AVG, Draped and radiate bust right
PAX AVG, Pax holding olive branch and scepter
RIC 100
Very nice portrait with an attractive patina on a severely reduced flan. May be a very good quality contemporary copy.

--------------------
No15.

Gallienus, sole reign 260-268
IMP GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate head right ABVNANTIA AVG, Abundantia standing, emptying cornucopia
RIC 157

Somewhat worn, but solid details with much better artwork on the reverse than is typical for coins of this period. Very nice political message! Glossy dark patina in hand.

--------------------------
No8.

Salonina, wife of Gallienus 253-268
SALONINA AVG, Draped bust right on crescent
PVDICITIA, Pudicitia seated, holding scepter and drawing back drapery from face. Mintmark VI
RIC 25
Difficult to photograph, but coin has a very attractive glossy black/charcoal patina. Very attractive in-hand, even if a bit worn. A solid example

Newest purchases from Finn

India/Afghanistan
Hindu Shahis (c. 850-1000 AD)
AR Jital "Bull and Horseman"
Obv: Nandi (the mount of Shiva) reclining; Nagari legend "Sri Samanta Deva", "Honorable Chief-Commander"
Rev: Mounted cavalry wearing ornate mask and holding flag.

This is a more typical specimen, but still solid on its own. This is a great way to dip your toes into Indian numismatics! Note the subtle artistic differences, particularly in the face of the bull and the legend calligraphy; this is probably an earlier specimen and a good testimony to the longevity of this series.

India, Indo-Scythians
Nahapana (c. 100 AD)
AR Drachm
Obv: Bust of Nahapana Right
Rev: Thunderbolt and Arrow, legend in Brahmi (left) and Kharosthi (right), "Nahapana, King and Satrap"
Nahapana was the third or fourth--and final--king of the first wave of Indo-Scythians to push into the heartland of India. He created a booming economy (as evidenced by a huge outpour of silver coinage) but his legacy came to a screeching halt when he was defeated and killed by the native Satavahana empire. His entire family was executed and it would be another several decades before the Scythians were able to re-take the lost territory.

Indo-Greek Kingdom, Apollodotus II
AR Drachm
80-65 BC
Basileos Soteros Apollodotou, bust right
Translation of same in Kharosthi, Athena standing left, holding Aegis and throwing thunderbolt

The Indo-Greek kingdom was a splinter state from Greek Bactria, pushing into what we would today consider India. The kings maintained their Greek names and Heritage, but many learned the native languages and converted to Buddhism. Their kingdom thrived for about a century before being crushed by the invading Scythians and rising Kushans. This is about an average example of the type.

No1.

Alexander Jannaeus, c. 103-70 BC. He's an interesting and detestable individual, and a terrible Jew.
Anepigraphic widow's mite with the star and anchor. It's a bit rough, but you can see it clearly enough in hand.

Signature
Sign Here X _______________________
Learn More...
United States
20153 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start, you need to add more to the collection.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
790 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, a very nice start. I especially like the Bactrian drachm.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1265 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea.Every collection should have a few ancients.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bactrian ... is that 3. ?
I don't know anything except I liked the way they looked and what info was included.
I need to add more to the collection ... uh OK
I thought I had a complete set
Signature
Pillar of the Community
United States
2776 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's my Finn-ished collection so far.

Ba-dum-bum-ching!

Great looking set.

Be careful or you might have to change to TheAntoninianusGuy down the line. Or maybe DrachmGuy? JitalGuy?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2287 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like 8 best, the style of the Bull is so cool, I have a similar coin with a different reverse (mounted horseman) also 13, I like the indo-greek stuff.

Good start ^^ and a variety there which is always good.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
790 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Bactrian is number 13.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
9341 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's virtually impossible to stop collecting ancients once you've started. Thou art doomed. But it will be a fun trip...

Nice launching pad you've got now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4079 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like 8 best, the style of the Bull is so cool

I agree. This is a great way to get started!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:11 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys, The ancient coins and the history in those times can be quite horrendous and ugly.
A lot of battles and murder. Not that it doesn't go on today, but is there any era or any geographic issues that have a more pleasant, romantic or one of great exploration and human advances in philosophy and invention.
I guess Kings and Queens and Military leaders earned their place on coins by being great conquerors.
I think of the poor people, the lowly soldiers, peons and slaves, and the very rich and powerful.

If I am to continue from here, I need a direction I suppose. I bet that the Greek coins might be a way to steer.
They probably have the gods on some. Oh ... did I pick an expensive area? I bet I did.
Signature
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:54 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you read Herodotus in his book The Histories written 2400 years ago you'd be quite surprised how civilized the ancient Greek world was. I mean really did he like walk the whole old world safe enough? I often wonder if those people in the middle east back then could see what a hot mess it is all and how brutal it has been lately they'd be quite shocked. Especially how the Greek civilization had such high regard for women Goddesses on these coins especially Tyche. And that part of the world today has their women at home quite often not allowed to go out without a man under what kind of dress? The saddest part is those people really seemed to have needed a women Goddess to the point they dressed up the Virgin Mary in the Syrian Christian Church so much like Tyche was for a thousand years and preyed to her for much of the same protection. Sadly now the young don't have a women Goddess at all usually anymore over there which is quite sad as they seemed to really have tried hard to keep a Goddess Queen role model for the better part of all history until very recently.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:32 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did some browsing tonight. A couple hours on the Greek coins. Seems to be a mellow area. I saved about 20 coins in my eBay and when I sort my watch list to show only the ancients, I can see I have a good eye for these as they would make a very nice looking bunch.
I had this theory that I might want to look at the more expensive ones, not to buy, but just to study detail and then when shopping lower end coins, I'll know what I those are missing or lacking and whether they are acceptable.
For now, I am in no hurry. It appears these coins have been around a long time and there is no scarcity of the ones I'll be buying.
I am going to look for good looking coins. I will probably learn some history as I go along.
Fortunately, my education in spotting fakes in modern coins has already been helpful in this area.
Yes, I think I like the Greek coins and will focus in that area.
Signature
Pillar of the Community
United States
3721 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those coins look familiar.... woah, deja vu, man

I'm glad you like them, and that the bug is spreading! Greek is a good area to go into, and one I haven't really taken the dive into yet. Stunning, beautiful coins, but it's nothing to blow a thousand bucks on some nice Greek silver. Caution is good; Greeks are the most appealing to counterfeiters, but DavidUK's collection is certainly drool-worthy!

I would also highly recommend dabbling before going gung-ho after some big money coins. I never expected to get sucked into the Gadhaiya Paisa, but they took hold of me!
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05