Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 quarter, clipped planchet or PMD?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OldJoeClark to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I assume this is PMD but would like your opinion. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OldJoe, PMD, the reeding shows some in flat area, it would have been out of collar and clean if clipped, the spreading out into collar is what makes the reeding effect.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldJoeClark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Crazyb0, I thought it may be but wasn't sure. I see what you are saying about the reeding and it makes sense. Why I questioned it is, I thought if it was PMD, there would be tapering toward the edge if a side cutter or such was used. I appreciate your help....as usual.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4093 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought if it was PMD, there would be tapering toward the edge if a side cutter or such was used.

True, but maybe someone sanded down these areas rather than cutting them. In any case, I agree with @crazyb0 about this being PMD.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldJoeClark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence, that very well could be the case. I appreciate your input.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1888 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD, but better luck next time.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3485 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:04 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not convinced yet that this is PMD. I do see some Blakesley effect on both sides. I see partial reeding on the edge but only on the reverse rim and note that the reverse is more circular than the obverse. With clips, the metal will flow outward from striking and on small ones could make partial contact with the collar.

On the lower clip (first pic), I see a tapered rim on the southern point.

"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldJoeClark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks spruett001 for your input. I really don't know, just found it odd. Maybe coop will see it and let us know his thoughts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4093 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spruette, in looking at the OP's last two pics, at least one of these areas is oblique to the surface. I was kinda thinking that a clip would be pretty much perpendicular. Is that a wrong assumption on my part? Just tryin' to learn...
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, an edge(straight) clip would all depend on how the planchet stock was formed. Looking at this again, there are two angular "dings"(?) side by side on the rim and also note the rim on obverse is missing going north from "clip", that is damage not an edge clip. Can't think of what would cause this unless intentional...?
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3485 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  01:06 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was kinda thinking that a clip would be pretty much perpendicular. Is that a wrong assumption on my part?

I'm not an expert but, my thinking is that the clip is perpendicular before the strike. The hammer die (obverse?) puts pressure on the planchet and the metal moves outward. My thinking is that this process starts from the bottom up, making the reverse side metal move first toward the collar. If so, the slope, or oblique, is a result of the pressure applied. If enough pressure were applied, the coin would be thinner but the small clips would disappear with the increased outward flow of metal making full contact with the collar.

It's the same reason why a perfect crescent-shaped clip will not necessarily be so after striking because of the free movement of metal. I'm going out on a limb but, it makes sense to me.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12421 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2017  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is PMD without a doubt, there is no core inversion.

ANA R-3151318
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05