Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,388 / Views: 276,925Next Topic
Page: of 426
Pillar of the Community
United States
2195 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, this competition is: post your oldest coin that is

1) still being minted today for circulation

2) having the same size and metallic makeup as the modern coins. For example:

The definition of "same metallic makeup," only applies to metals that are more than 10 percent of the content. In other words, if the old and new coins are 95% copper or 90% silver, a change in the metal makeup of the remaining 5% or 10% of the coin is not disqualifying.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
962 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom left coin. I think 1850 - 1900 all nickel, but now copper nickel - hope thats okay. If you are gettiung pernickelty over obverse the 1880s one should suffice

1850 10 Batzen Switzerland Bottom left.

170 years.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom left looks like a 10 Rappen to me, It should be 10% silver if the date is 1850. They are copper*nickel from 1879-now except for 1932-1939 which were nickel.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
962 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well in that case the 1884 20 Rappen at top right is my entry, but 10% silver hardly counts if the rules count, it is still mostly nickel.

I got Batzen confused with Rappen - sorry, you will see earlier Canton coins were in batzen and even now the French Swiss refer to Rappen as Centimes.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is still mostly nickel.

Would it not be copper? They are billon and while the exact composition varies I think the major metal is always copper(50%-75%?). It fits in my book. Calling it a Batzen is colloquially correct, much like calling a 1 cent a penny. A Batzen was equivalent to 1/10th a Franc but Switzerland standardized their currency in 1850 and the actual Batzen coins were no longer officially used.

This contest would be much easier if everyone wasn't making plated steel coins now.

The 20 rappen would not fit I think as yours is mostly nickel and now they are mostly copper.
Edited by Gincoin43
05/30/2020 04:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2195 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10 batzen are no longer minted. That entry does not qualify.

20 rappen were nickel in 1884 according to numista, and current ones are copper nickel (75% copper and 25% nickel according to wikipedia, which is the only source I found defining the copper nickel content of Swiss coins). That entry does not qualify (although when I came up with this contest, I was thinking of Swiss small change).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think this is the best I can do from what I have already imaged. 1976 US quarter.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2085 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(although when I came up with this contest, I was thinking of Swiss small change).

I only have one bronze coin from Switzerland, and it's not that old. So I will play it safe
Good old US nickel

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
962 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you make up your darn mind what does qualify - because as far as I am concerned with your rules about metal composition it does qualify.

You can't just flip flop to suit the wind direction.

I got the denomination name wrong - sue me.
Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pt, please consider taking a chill pill on this. We are supposed to be having fun here and if you look back over the hundreds of challenges that we have had, you will see that it is actually pretty common that some clarification is needed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
because as far as I am concerned with your rules about metal composition it does qualify

He disqualified it because it seems they no longer make them for circulation.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces173.html
I think they still do though. They minted 7 million of them in 2018
Edited by Gincoin43
05/30/2020 4:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I didn't offend you Princetane. I'm fairly confident you picked the oldest possible coin, but I didn't think it would be accepted as described.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2195 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So this would be easier to do if you had posted the front and back as a single coin.

When you called the 1850 coin a 10 batzen, I thought that was the official denomination. I see now that the 1850 coin is actually (according to numista) a 10 rappen/centimes. So on that basis it would qualify.

This coin is currently 75% Cu, 25% Ni. Obviously the fact that it was 10% silver did not disqualify it. However, I cannot find what the other 90% is. If it is 90% copper, it would not qualify, as the difference is more than 10% from the 1850 coin. If you can determine the makeup of the billon, I will be happy to review it.

Finally, if that 1882? coin next to it is a 10 rappen, it would qualify. It is the same denomination and the same makeup as the modern coin.
Edited by Arkie
05/30/2020 6:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It shouldn't be more than 75% copper
https://onlinecoin.club/Coins/CoinT...imes_billon/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
962 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arkle, I suggest you look up the Numista page and you will see the composition is the same or largely so since the 1800s.

I wisely instantly jumped to Switzerland as they have the oldest similar circulating coins in the world with 10 and 20 Rappen, same size and shape since 1850 and same design since 1870 - long before the yankee doodle nickels.

*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Edited by Princetane
05/31/2020 12:39 am
Page: of 426 Previous TopicReplies: 6,388 / Views: 276,925Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05