Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 6,586 / Views: 290,436Next Topic
Page: of 440
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1150 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice and easy

BIGGEST CIRCULATING SILVER COIN

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces42217.html

This is a 10 Kina coin of Papua New Guinea from 1976. It is proof and weighs 41.6 grams and is 45mm in diameter and has 92.5% silver content giving it 38.15 grams of silver in it.

Your challenge is to show your largest circulation struck silver coin, the biggest is the winner.

Rules

1. Coin can be standard or proof strike like mine, but must be a NCLT or circulating legal tender coin - it CAN NOT be a Bullion silver coin or round - so no 1kg Aussie silver Kangaroos or $1 collector rounds. And no proofs or essays - it must have circulated.

2. Proper coin designs - not gimmicky rubbish like superman coins from Niue etc, my coin is a bit gimmicky - but it was minted in Cupronickel too and was a circulating piece issued in a type set of a nation.

3. You MUST state the coin's size in metric millimetres and weight in metric grams only. I know this will annoy Americans, but the rest of the world uses metric and it should not be too hard for you to convert the measurements.

4. Post a Numista link for the coin, so I can verify its size and weight, if you don't your entry will be invalid.

5. Fineness must be at least .750 or 75% - no base silver coins sorry or even half silver. Silver only, no gold or platinum either.

6. Any date or country fine - if you have a 6th century BC dekadrachm - by all means show it.

7. Good luck and no PNG 10 Kina allowed.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
07/08/2020 2:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will not be the biggest, but I have to go with my latest.

1847 Seated Liberty dollar

Content: 90% silver, 10% copper
Weight: 26.73 grams
Diameter: 38.1 millimeters

Learn More...
United States
88862 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know this will annoy Americans, but the rest of the world uses metric and it should not be too hard for you to convert the measurements.
When I was in grade school (late 1970s) everything was metric. Fast forward a couple years and boom, all gone! Like it never happened. Next thing you know we are losing Martian orbiters.

During my previous career as a product manager, everything was metric. We could not get our stuff manufactured otherwise.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in
1976 Bahamas 5 Dollars
42.12 grams
0.925 = 1.2526oz
45 mm

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces19545.html
? aren't all coin measured in metric
Learn More...
United States
16683 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pt, can you please clarify whether the weight or the diameter (or some combination of these parameters) will be used to determine "biggest"? Thx!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1150 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Criteria

1. Size in mm (Diameter across the coins surface)

2. Weight in grams (And if you are stating silver content, this must also be in grams - I can't convert medieval ounces Keith12)

3. Thickness (Low priority as I know Piedforts are not standard circulation sized pieces but collectors one offs).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
07/08/2020 8:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16014 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Biggest circulating silver

Your example :
10 Kina - Elizabeth II Silver Proof Issue

Country Papua New Guinea
Queen Elizabeth II (1975-date)
Type Non-circulating coin

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16014 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 Republique Francaise.
50 Francs.

Country France
Period Fifth Republic (1958-date)
Type **Standard circulation coin**
Years 1974-1980
Value 50 Francs (50 FRF)
Currency New franc (1960-2001)
Composition Silver (.900)
Weight 30 g
Diameter 41 mm
Thickness 2.70 mm

Edited by Dorado
07/08/2020 8:51 pm
Valued Member
Australia
113 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Your example :

Country Papua New Guinea

Well spotted Dorado!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1138 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Your example :

Country Papua New Guinea

but must be a NCLT or circulating legal tender coin -

Most of those no circulating silver coins are still legal tender or NCLT. It just can't be a bullion round. So a Panamanian 20 Balboa would be pretty hard to beat with modern coins.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1150 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I said very clearly NCLT is allowed, but Bullion rounds and coins that are strictly gimmick releases are not.

Yes my example is NCLT, but it is a "standard example" - a coin showing Mickey Mouse from Equatorial Guinea or Tuvalu etc is not.

Also as Contest master, I am not entered.

Currently winning is Keith12 with his huge silver piece.

How come everytime I do a contest, I get questions and complaints - so pernickety.
Edited by Princetane
07/09/2020 12:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8834 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kingdom of France -- 1 ecu, 1737:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16357.html

Weight = 29.488 g
Diameter = 41 mm
thickness = 2.6 mm

.917 silver
Pillar of the Community
United States
2248 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1150 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's going to be hard to top that one.

Panama is one interesting place, that on one hand and the Panama pill on the other!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
20 Balboas. 61 mm. 129.59 grams

Will have to add that to my bucket list

Page: of 440 Replies: 6,586 / Views: 290,436Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05