Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,928 / Views: 310,157Next Topic
Page: of 462
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I give you 4 points, Zimbabwe is an African word like you said and the soapstone bird is acceptable as a native animal.

Good start!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2297 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Cape Verde Islands

1. Country has become independent since 1970 (So from January 1 1970 onwards)--1975
4. Coin shows a native plant, fish, animal, flower etc - 1 point for each. Unclear if grass/wheat in national emblem is native plant
6. The coin is in regular everyday circulation, now or in the past.
7. Coin was issued after independence (Year of independence is acceptable).

Minus points (- 1 for each, except 5)

Wikipedia says it is in Africa

2. The coin only has European or colonial languages on it. Unclear National emblem identifies national name in Portuguese. Cannot identify source of sailing ship.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I give you 4 points, Zimbabwe is an African word like you said and the soapstone bird is acceptable as a native animal.

Cool. I didn't think to count the bird because the coin specifically depicts the bird sculpture. According to Wikipedia "it probably represents the bateleur eagle or the African fish eagle."
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arkle 5 points, I think I may get rid of the language rule, as I am sure many African countries have several different languages.

UPDATE - I HAVE - You have 5 points and the lead - congratulations

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
09/21/2020 02:38 am
Learn More...
United States
91212 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating idea.

I will have to see what I have, but does not seem too promising.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2488 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Participation Points

Kiribati

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
6 points there!

Kiribati Independent 1979, Kiribati is a native word, Shows a native bird and fish that is 4 points, coin is used another point and issued on or after independence another point.

I can't give you 7 as I am sorry to say Kiribati has 115,000 people!

So you are in the lead!

Overall the number of entries is fairly low and I may close this in 24 hours.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2488 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So you are in the lead!
Learn More...
United States
91212 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
So you are in the lead!
Whoops! I guess you need to get that next idea ready. Just in case one of the heavy hitters fall through.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2488 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is Dorado when you need him
Learn More...
United States
17469 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pt, if you keep it open through tomorrow then I've got an entrant for this challenge.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, bear in mind timezones are confusing here. This clock is some 16 hours behind us in New Zealand, 10.27pm on Monday there is 2.27pm Tuesday here.

Next week is 17 hours behind as we move to Daylight savings as its spring here. I was envisioning shutting the challenge off around 7am our time tomorrow, but may keep it open longer, its just with 3 or 4 entries, it is not setting the board alight.
Learn More...
United States
91212 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where is Dorado when you need him

Quote:
@pt, if you keep it open through tomorrow then I've got an entrant for this challenge.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9067 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Equatorial Guinea -- 50 pesetas guineanas, 1969:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11946.html

+0 -- independent in 1968
+0 -- language appears to be Spanish
+1 -- portrait of president Francisco Macías Nguema
+1 -- plant
+0 -- population = 1.3 million
+1 -- regular coin
+1 -- issued in 1969
-0 -- in Africa
-0 -- coin minted after independence
-0 -- population less than 5 million
-0 -- not a colony currently
-0 -- coin is circulating
---------------
4 points
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9067 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whoops! I guess you need to get that next idea ready. Just in case one of the heavy hitters fall through.

Maybe we should change the rules so that whoever has the lowest points has to come up with the next idea?
Page: of 462 Previous TopicReplies: 6,928 / Views: 310,157Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05