Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 7,045 / Views: 320,000Next Topic
Page: of 470
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or vending machines/coin star finds.

Or even if you just found it on the ground.

But nothing that was purchased.
Edited by Gincoin43
10/26/2020 5:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How exactly would you like us to measure the distance? From capital city of the foreign country to the city where it was found? Geographic center of the foreign country? I'm assuming you want us to Google maps or some other maps program to measure on the globe?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I simple typed "Distance Las Vegas to Taiwan" in google. It should give you a number every time. Though if you would like to be more precise you are welcome to.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3273 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How exactly would you like us to measure the distance? From capital city of the foreign country to the city where it was found? Geographic center of the foreign country?
I'd say mint where it was made if the mint is inside the foreign country in question, and probably capital city otherwise. That or the closest point of the country.

(This is actually tricky for me because I found several coins from Thailand in Moscow and a coin from India in Kaliningrad Oblast, so I'd have to look up the exact mints and/or the exact borders to be sure which one is the larger distance.)

(Incidentally, can I post a different coin of the same type as a representative if I can't find the actual original coin I found? I've found multiples of the Thai coin, but I'm not sure where exactly they were stored.)

Quote:
Or even if you just found it on the ground.
...That one Sacagawea dollar, then. I'll have to check if I have that coin, though - it might still be in my father's collection.

(I'm assuming that coins brought by friends and/or relatives who visited the appropriate countries still don't count, but the current rulings make that uncertain.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

(I'm assuming that coins brought by friends and/or relatives who visited the appropriate countries still don't count, but the current rulings make that uncertain.)

Correct, that would not count.

As for measuring, to make it simpler, let us measure from where it was found to the capital of the issuing nation.(It's not always easy to find the mint nor are they always in the country of issue.)
Edited by Gincoin43
10/27/2020 12:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay here goes

Chinese 2 Fen coin found on the ground in Auckland, New Zealand.

Distance from Beijing to Auckland 10,400km or 6,500 miles

Not sure where Chinese coins are minted, but assume it was Beijing.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

J1m if you are unable to tell it apart , I would accept an identical coin, if you just can't find it, you'll have to pick a different entry.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this on the floor in store in Ohio. Columbus to Taipei is 12,345 km.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3273 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
J1m if you are unable to tell it apart , I would accept an identical coin, if you just can't find it, you'll have to pick a different entry.
The problem is that there's been about half a dozen of those bahts over the years, and I don't think I wrote down the dates. OTOH, it's not like I've bought any examples of that type (too common to bother with), so any that I would find must have came either from circulation or from relatives, and are probably more likely to be the former.

Of course, I can't seem to find any of them anyway, and while looking for them I stumbled on the Indian coin...

...actually, clarification number two.
Quote:
But nothing that was purchased.
I think I saw it in a cashier's tray and asked "can I have that one?" and they allowed me to get it for what they probably assumed was face value (to be fair, with the exchange rates at the time, it pretty much was). Does that count as "in change" or "purchased"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I saw it in a cashier's tray and asked "can I have that one?" and they allowed me to get it for what they probably assumed was face value (to be fair, with the exchange rates at the time, it pretty much was). Does that count as "in change" or "purchased"?

That's fine, you did see it in the tray, so it is highly likely someone spent it there, purposefully or by accident.

Quote:
Not sure where Chinese coins are minted, but assume it was Beijing.

They have at least 4 mints: Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen and Shenyang

Quote:
Ohio. Columbus to Taipei is 12,345 km.

Nice
Edited by Gincoin43
10/27/2020 6:10 pm
Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm don't think that I can participate in this round as I don't really track where I have acquired coins that I haven't purchased. It is nice to see all the entrants so far though!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmm don't think that I can participate in this round as I don't really track where I have acquired coins

Guess I could post some random coin and say I found it in ? Wal-mart. But I really would have no clue where it came from
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't win them all Spence

You could do that Keith but you would know.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3273 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, posting the Indian coin now...

This 2 rupee coin was minted in 2016 in Calcutta, India, and somehow found its way to a cashier's tray in Pionerskiy, Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia, within the same year.

Google tells me that Pionerskiy to Calcutta is 6581 km, and Pionerskiy to Delhi (the capital of India) is 5340 km.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's get the show on the road
Page: of 470 Replies: 7,045 / Views: 320,000Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05