Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7,244 / Views: 332,601Next Topic
Page: of 483
Bedrock of the Community
New Zealand
1,989 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numista is great, but not everything on their site is correct. It is written in France, so their understanding of non French coinage can be limited.

Plus British florins date from the imperial measurement age and the French have been decimal since the 1700s so there may be a conversion factor. If you check several other Florin measurements, you will see they show their correct size.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
1,543 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Distance score:
- I would like you to determine the distance based on the search "distance from UK to [country your coin is from]"

That is the distance to Melbourne, but according to the rules of the contest we are measuring to the country of issue not the mint. If you search "distance from UK to New Zealand" you get 18,390 km. Bd251(the current gamemaster) scored your coin above using that criteria.
Bedrock of the Community
New Zealand
1,989 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes but if Australia was a smaller country, it would be fairer for me and I think the older coin rather than distance should break a tie.

Had I known a New Zealand coin would do better than Australia, I would have entered one! After all I have bought the coins of my own country to the fore here.

In that case

1933 NZ Florin, would also get 20 points under this rigarig system, but my coin is 4 years older and much better condition.

NZ Florins don't get any older than this.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
1,543 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Had I known a New Zealand coin would do better than Australia, I would have entered one!

It was clearly written in the rules.
Bedrock of the Community
New Zealand
1,989 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know you were running the competition, my guess is you don't make the rules but negatively reinforce them?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
1,543 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've enforced nothing, just pointed out incorrect claims you have made. Honestly, I've little interest winning this round, but I find your bellicose attitude irritating and thus difficult to ignore.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane that's a nice looking florin. I really enjoy the drtails on that portrait of George V.

The reason I didn't use capitals or mint location for determining distance is because I'm more interested in where the coin was used than where it was minted. Ideally I would have liked to use the center of population but that would get too complicated and no one would participate.

Scoreboard:
1. Gincoin43 - 20 (18,389 km, earlier post)
2. Princetane - 20 (18,389 km)
3. Arkie - 14
4. Pepactonius - 13

Edit: This round will end tomorrow at 10pm forum time.

I lost track of what day it was. It's the third, so let's wrap this up today at 10pm forum time.
Edited by bd251
11/02/2020 2:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2,720 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I lost track of what day it was. It's the third, so let's wrap this up today at 10pm forum time.

It's the 2nd. I say wrap it up now.

Quote:
it would be fairer for me and I think the older coin rather than distance should break a tie.

Sorry but you don't make the rule's for this round
Bedrock of the Community
New Zealand
1,989 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel I should have won and don't agree with this nonsense. I have many nice florins like the one I showed, yet they are not enough to win.

I am refusing to accept the result and not entering again for a while.

***post revised by staff***

Edited by Princetane
11/03/2020 12:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
Russian Federation
3,319 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to check my collection, but if I couldn't find anything that counts for at least 7 points, I'm sitting this out as well, in solidarity with Princetane.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Gincoin43 what happened to your post?!

Quote:
It's the 2nd. I say wrap it up now.

I meant the third day of the challenge, sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2,720 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bd251 you need to declare a winner or
Quote:
If all else fails, jbuck gets to go.

And lets stop the bickering and just have fun
Bedrock of the Community
United States
1,543 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Gincoin43 what happened to your post?!

My interest reached 0, who ever would like to go is fine by my me.
Learn More...
United States
18,294 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is looking a little bit like this might be a good time to hit the pause button on this thread. We can start it back up again down the road. I'll leave it open for another day of comments just in case I am mis-reading the atmosphere here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
1,543 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am willing to participate in a contest without me as a host.
Page: of 483 Previous TopicReplies: 7,244 / Views: 332,601Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05