Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7,370 / Views: 343,776Next Topic
Page: of 492
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
794 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I have anything for this round unless my I can count a proof that I intentionally "circulated" as a pocket piece.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4592 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooh. Nothing here that I know of.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess I will just chalk that up to a bad idea. Again.

Lets move on. Anybody got an idea? Feel free
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lets move on. Anybody got an idea?

It could be something as simple as a date match. Put up an early-dated coin, and everyone needs to come as close as possible. Ties go to earliest posted coin. Some details would need working out, of course.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another possibility is a coin with an alphabetic mint mark with the earliest/latest sorting position. Mint mark "A" would be first, and "ZZZZZZZZ" would be last.

You could also do this with designer's initials/name, or even any word on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4018 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then there is the tried and true coin matching: matching date, deonomination, country, imagery with points for being close.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16293 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe we could do a coin from the German city-state with the longest name?
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe we could do a coin from the German city-state with the longest name?

You all need to come up with something unless you want to see another Ike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You all need to come up with something unless you want to see another Ike.

The simplest challenge of all would be the first/next coin posted to this thread wins (no points, no restrictions).
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is what we do when we get stuck. First one to post hosts.

And if nobody posts, get those Ikes ready.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2235 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JBuck - Please not the IKES
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
11/28/2020 04:55 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2235 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JBuck time for me to ruin your fun

1935 New Zealand Threepence, never meant to be issued. In 1935 NZ had issued all coins except the 3d as enough were in circulation and more were not needed. But that year was the issue of the belated Waitangi Crown and a proof set of coins. Originally it only went down to the 6d.

A group of businessmen decided they needed a 3d to complete their proof sets, but did not want to add a 1934 dated coin as it would look wrong if all the others said 1935.

They decided to order 364 Threepence coins dated 1935 from The Royal Mint for their sets and thought that would be okay, except The Royal Mint told them there was a 500 face value minimum order and needed to order at least 40k pieces to make that amount (Minting and dispatch extra). They had to agree reluctantly but decided to have 364 Proof Threepences for their proof sets and 40k would be ordinary coins that ended up in circulation.

Even funnier was they were minted in February 1936 and arrived here in May 1936. The mintage of 40k was low next to the 6 million coins each of 1933 and 1934 and 2 million more in 1936.

Everyone was happy, the collectors got complete proof sets and the general public got to find NZ's most scarce ciculation coin in change.

Basically the 1935 3d was never planned and an after thought that became an expensive choice.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the powers vested in me by nobody
I declare Princetane the WINNER. of my bad idea round.
I also find it very interesting. That someone or a group of people could just order some coins minted.
And that coin is pricey
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2235 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Entirely true, our most scarce circulation coin is nothing more than a glorified business strike!

Now a fun treasure hunt challenge to get some points and spice.

My cause celebre at the moment, a fun treasure points challenge.
UK Silver Halfcrown 1826 George IV, AU, AU55 possibly cleaned

Winner is the most points from the following criteria.

1. The Year 1826 100 points - 1 point for every year later or earlier than 1826, so any coin between 1727 and 1925 will get points. I can work this out for you if you like.
Examples 1850 = 76 points, 1902 = 24 points, 1750 = 24 points, 1794 = 68 points etc,

2. Silver or Gold coin of over .800 Fineness = +10 points
Any other metal no points, but you can still enter it

3. Crown appears on the coin = +10 points

4. Plant leaves and fronds = + 1 Point per leaf

5. Size over 30mm = +50 points
27 - 30mm = +25 points
Under 27mm = 0 points

6. Condition = EF or better = 50 points
VF - EF = 25 points
Fine - VF = 10 points
Under Fine = 0 points

7. Language (I know my coin is English/Latin)
Any language other than English = 50 points
Non western language = 100 points
Coin has English and other languages too = 25 points, but any English restricts it from getting more marks (Indian Rupees take note).
Same with colonial coins of other empires, so Dutch Indonesia will get 50 points as the lowest scoring language variety predominates - same for Spanish colonial and independent Hispanic countries = 50 points

8. Animals on coins
Lions, mammals etc = 20 points per animal
Birds, fish, rodents and small animals under cat sized = 5 points each.

You can award yourself points for any of these categories. If your coin scores no points in any of them - thats fine.

Most points win.

And one caveat = No USA, American coins allowed, any USA coin or coin made or used in USA territory (1700s colonial cents/pennies etc) is disqualified includes Rosa Americana a and Virginia coins(Just to spice it up and make this contest more international).

And Canadian coins will only get half their earnt scores as I know they also predominate here.

Have fun and more willing tom ajudicate and audit any entry.
Edited by Princetane
11/28/2020 8:33 pm
Page: of 492 Previous TopicReplies: 7,370 / Views: 343,776Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05