Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7,507 / Views: 354,913Next Topic
Page: of 501
Pillar of the Community
United States
4630 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arkie it is. That's one ugly coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post your smallest gold coin minted for circulation. Mexican gold dos pesos (smaller than a gold US dollar).

Learn More...
United States
97870 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Arkie it is. That's one ugly coin.
This was not a beauty contest.

Quote:
Post your smallest gold coin minted for circulation
No gold for me.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or me and once again I lose by 1 vote.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4724 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No gold here either. Look forward to seeing what
beauties you guys dig up.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
97870 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3041 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no rule against voting for yourself
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States 1 dollar 15mm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3041 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my smallest. 18 mm . The Indian is the same size

Learn More...
United States
97870 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3443 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No gold for me.
Nor me, though I'm seriously tempted to post my Siberian polushka (something like 0.01% gold if I understand the official specifications correctly).

"Gold coin minted for circulation" is one of my long-term collection goals, as it happens, though I doubt I'd get to that one anytime soon, because prices keep going up ahead of my willingness to pay that much.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what it is about me and gold. I have friends who collect it and are forever trying to get me into it, but the only gold I have is a 9ct ring on my finger with a tiny diamond.

You get so much more from silver, more value and more interesting coins used by people rather than potentates. I have owned gold coins in the past and they have just never given me the buzz that silver does. Tiny half sovereigns do not hold the appeal of a chunky and juicy Halfcrown.

J1M - Go for it, they did not state what percentage gold the coin had to be!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
97870 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but the only gold I have is a 9ct ring on my finger with a tiny diamond.
Only gold I have is my university ring (10 karat yellow gold with copper) and wedding band (14 karat white gold with nickel).

Quote:
You get so much more from silver, more value and more interesting coins used by people rather than potentates.
I have to agree.

Quote:
J1M - Go for it, they did not state what percentage gold the coin had to be!
Agreed as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6050 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Southern India apparently had a glut of gold bullion compared to silver or copper, so from the time they began using coins following the rise of the Chola dynasty in the medieval period, it was common for many transactions to be conducted with tiny gold fanams, weighing about 0.35g and ranging in size from 5-10mm. I've read that one fanam was worth about a day's labor for a farmhand.

My smallest:

Mysore
Krishnaraja Wodeyar III
1794-1864
0.34g, 5mm

There are even smaller gold "coins" attributed as a fractional fanam or "bele", although I have heard some concerns that these may not be coins at all, and could be fantasy pieces. It won't even register on my scale; nominal weight is 0.04g and size ranges from 2-3mm. Lacking a scale photo next to a dime, but next to another 5mm Krishnaraja fanam:

My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
97870 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn, that is outstanding!

Is this a voting round? I know who is getting mine.
Page: of 501 Previous TopicReplies: 7,507 / Views: 354,913Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05